Bowerman's Nose, Hayne Down, Dartmoor

jfb

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I was able to get out and take advantage of the glorious clear skies last night. After checking PhotoPills for alignments I decided to go to the iconic Bowerman's Nose on Dartmoor and get some views of the Core of the Milky Way.

This is always an interesting location and is accessed by a 15 minute walk through a bolder field which is always challenging.

I will start with the best... This is an 8 shot vertical panorama, each shot was taken on my 1Dx and 15-30 f2.8 - ISO 5,000, 30" at f2.8 - a small Nissin i40 was used to fire into the rock at 1/256 power to give a bit of light, otherwise it would have simply been a silhouette.

JFBX4013-x-8-Pano.jpg

This was possibly a better alignment, but you lose the interesting "old man wearing a cap" look - single shot, exif as above

JFBX3997.jpg

A variation, a different angle, this is 3 x landscape images, merged into a veritcal stack

JFBX4005-x-3.jpg

Great images and I admire your enthusiasm - hope to see more.

I am doing 90 minutes at Paignton Photographic Club tomorrow, the 1st session is purely on astro - I possibly need to post a few more on here :)

JB Poster-2018.jpg

Show 'em the 'sectomy series!!! ;) :p

Liking the MW shots.

Show 'em the 'sectomy series!!! ;) :p
Liking the MW shots.

Hmmmm - you are leading me astray - that was one of my more challenging commissions & is still an interesting part of my camera club macro presentation...

V1.jpg V2.jpg V3.jpg V4.jpg

Good old Dr Bollokov!!!

What do you want to photograph?

I have seen some photos by Brenden Van Son of Milky Way and night sky photos from his travels which look amazing for a guy who is into landscape. Plus he has done timne laspe photo videos again which are impressive.
I have been travelling / holidaying chasing the winter sun and some places the night sky is really clear.
Hence why I thought I will give this aspect of photography a go.

Back