Beginner Box framing for print

BMG

Edit My Images
No
Evening all,

I need some advice. I have just ordered a print to match two others we already have. However having now ordered it, I'm not sure how to get how framed. The two prints we currently have were taken by a pro tog who supplied the prints as well. Unfortunately we haven't been able to get hold of her, so I'm now trying to re-create the same look myself, without having any prior knowledge of how to do this. the two prints look to have been mounted on plywood or something similar before being mounted in a two inch box frame.

Is it normal to print directly onto wood or has the print been stuck to it? What is the norm? having just ordered a print, I'm now wondering if I'll be able to get it framed. If it helps I can take photos of what we currently have.

Cheers in advance for the help.

Can you post an image of what you are trying to replicate?
This will help us to help you.

As Meeten says, without a few pictures of the currently framed prints "structure" we can have no real idea what exactly you are trying to replicate ???

Can you post an image of what you are trying to replicate?
This will help us to help you.
As Meeten says, without a few pictures of the currently framed prints "structure" we can have no real idea what exactly you are trying to replicate ???
Hi both, good idea. See below. I hope these help, if you need some more just ask.

IMG_2260.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG IMG_2263.JPG

When you say you think the print is mounted on hardboard it that because that is hardboard you can see on the reverse of that box frame?

How deep is the rear rebate ~ in other words can you determine how thick the print and its mount & the hardboard is?

I surmise the print might be mounted/stuck to Foamex sheet and unless you can take the backing board out to reveal the actual mount that will be moot.

Foamex mounted prints AFAIK are or were popular with/in some markets.

When you say you think the print is mounted on hardboard it that because that is hardboard you can see on the reverse of that box frame?

How deep is the rear rebate ~ in other words can you determine how thick the print and its mount & the hardboard is?

I surmise the print might be mounted/stuck to Foamex sheet and unless you can take the backing board out to reveal the actual mount that will be moot.

Foamex mounted prints AFAIK are or were popular with/in some markets.
Evening, the recess in the back is as deep as the frame edge, which is why is was thinking the print was mounted on a ply type material. I think the mounting can only be a few mm thick. also what on earth is AFAIK?

Evening, the recess in the back is as deep as the frame edge, which is why is was thinking the print was mounted on a ply type material. I think the mounting can only be a few mm thick. also what on earth is AFAIK?

Foamex comes in various thicknesses. Can you open the frame up to confirm if the what the print is mounted (stuck) onto? Many frames allow for non-destructive opening and re-closure.

The surface of the print makes me think it printed on a lustre type paper what with the textured look showing.

PS AFAIK is As Far As I Know

Last edited:
This should help!

It's an Arqadia moulding, product code 282167000 with a 5mm foamcore board, laminated print with a textured film on top!

IMG_4087.JPG IMG_4088.JPG

This should help!

It's an Arqadia moulding, product code 282167000 with a 5mm foamcore board, laminated print with a textured film on top!

View attachment 98365 View attachment 98366

Never that front attached type frame before, do you glue the foamed into to it? If so do you still put a decorative board in the reverse to 'finish' it?

Double sided sticky tape! We use an ATG gun, a lot simpler and quicker, glue not needed as foamcore is so light weight.

No need to finish the back if you don't want to, as long as the reverse side of whatever board you use is clean, it automatically looks finished.

IMG_1410.JPG

Last edited:
Evening all, my apologies for taking so long to come back to you all. Thank you so much for taking the time to explain howe it is made. This is very new to me. I am hoping to see a local framer this week and at least I have an idea as to what I am asking. Even though they may offer something slightly different. I did have a look at the link and it is very comprehensive, although I couldn't see prices, looks like trade bulk buying?

Arqadia are a trade supplier and do not make frames so you will not find any prices there.

Having that link handy when you visit your framer will make it a lot easier for you if they have an Arqadia account though!

Arqadia are a trade supplier and do not make frames so you will not find any prices there.

Having that link handy when you visit your framer will make it a lot easier for you if they have an Arqadia account though!
Great idea, thank you!

Back