Boxing, finally sorted last weekend's images (artistic?) you decide

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
Following up on my other thread where I hope the images look more publishable, this thread is more of the arty-side of boxing, if you like. The images that may not be clear, may be blurry from motion and even has body parts cut off - but can still be "good" image? You decide. I think there is an artistic side to boxing, its definitely more than just punching and bleeding.

Not everyone is going to like these or even "get" them. So I'll put a little note above each image, saying why I personally like the shot and did not delete it with the other 90%.

These were taken with the same settings as my other thread. ** 500th sec, 5000iso

1.. Someone asked for fist blur? still 500th of a sec, but the rest of the body stays "intact".
13535149953_1561a713f6_o_d.jpg

2.. another fist blur, not much of a view though lhao (hahahahah) but i still like the image, enough not to delete anyway.
13535103564_f700749e01_o_d.jpg

3.. Some people just will not get this, but its actually one of my favourites from the evening. I love the empty space, the little lights just fill it in enough so its not totally dead. Think I might crop the bottom off, up to the bottom of the rope rather than body poking through? What do YOU think? :)
13535103554_7e0ae0ff97_o_d.jpg

4.. Theres not many opportunities to get both fighters almost looking at the camera other than at the end of the fight and usually one is not very happy. I like the eyes, focussed. Very focussed on what they are doing.
13534785955_b8bcf77e04_o_d.jpg

5.. I think its so skilful to dodge a punch at the speed they are flying and when you can capture them they sort of look quite humerous. He's looking at the fist coming toward him and leaning back, its like "ah, a fist. ok!". I like it anyway. Maybe Im weird, but my photography is me I suppose. Noisy, a bit on the wobbly side ;)
13534889463_2dbb73eb65_o_d.jpg

6.. Match just finished, everyone is in the ring and making their way back to their corners before the decision is made. You can see the emotion all round. Except for the ref, who's busy in his book lol
13535049865_b825664400_o_d.jpg

Thanks for looking, please feel free to say anything you want about the images, or ask anything about them, we're all here to learn.

Certainly caught the action in these.

Shame #1 wasn't a hit to the face but certainly feel the intensity in the punch I personally think.

#3 I would agree crop to rope and straighten the angle makes viewing awkward IMHO.

#5 I would tend to think that could be cropped to 4x3 cut out the non interested guy and what I think is a waiter. But keep in guy showing his elbow.

#1 like it, shame you can't see more of the boxer''s face but that's just the angle, and you can't stand on a step ladder!
the punters would complain I think!
but, dynamic motion and you can't mistake what's happening

#3 I love it apart from the rope, just a wee bit lower and it would be be a great shot. And as you say, the deadspace work for me, I imagine promo text going there, venue details etc
#4 is a rare as you say. works for me very well. again dynamic motion, there's little illusion that these two are just standing still and posing. it's about how their weight is thrown with the punch.
#5 looks odd bit I like it, great shot. I would crop in tighter for my preferences
#6 I like again, but I wouldn't use it for anything. but as part of the story, it's nearly as important as when the ref raises the hand of the winner.

quite annoyed really, mine won't be as good later in the month :p

I like them all, great emotion and gritty determination and I like the fact that they are different to the norm.

Thanks everyone, comments and time taken, most appreciated. Got another month before I get to photograph another fight. Hopefully there'll be decent lighting. Thanks again, appreciated

Back