boxing knock out and I missed the focus!

Name
urrrm.... Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
A99A3810.jpg
I don't normally post but wanted to contribute again after much time away.
I missed this shot, but the boxer didn't. The focussing is off, as I couldn't keep up! I was rather close to the fighters, 35mm and uncropped.
I don't mind some constructive critique. Does this still work even though it's not as sharp as my other contact shots.
I'm not binning it as it's a true and clean knock-out, a lovely cross!
But I'm open to feedback as to whether I'm right or not.
cheers

The fist that did the hitting is sharp and as it in the same plane as the chin, the lack of sharpness is down to rapid movement following the contact. Both of his shoulders are sharper than his head. So it is not a focus problem. It is a shutter speed problem.

Last edited:
I can help if you PM a wetransfer link of the high res original.

boxing by Dougie Lindsay, on Flickr

cheers Dougie, I'll have a look at some selective sharpening. But you're right, the shoulder is in focus, I think that's what the focusing caught. I was running this at around 1/400s to 1/600s depending upon the fighter's speed.

I am surprised at the ref letting you stand at the side of the ring!
a fair point. It's a charity boxing match rather than a pro fight.
I was on an entrance platform with none of the crowd behind me and this was as close as I get. Often on a fixed lens I have to crop in.

cheers Dougie, I'll have a look at some selective sharpening. But you're right, the shoulder is in focus, I think that's what the focusing caught. I was running this at around 1/400s to 1/600s depending upon the fighter's speed.

Hi Matt,

I used Topaz AI Sharpen but in ‘stabilise’ mode.

Dougie.

Hi Matt,

I used Topaz AI Sharpen but in ‘stabilise’ mode.

Dougie.

So that is able to apply movement sharpening to local areas? Not met that before......

However $80.00 is a rather steep price....

Last edited:
So that is able to apply movement sharpening to local areas? Not met that before......

However $80.00 is a rather steep price....

It rescued loads of pics my girlfriend took when I loaned her a d7200 for a 70th birthday party she was at.

Download and use the trial for 30 days. I’ve been programming computers for 35 years and am amazed at this software.

Chuck your slightly oof pics in , use focus or stabilise modes and be amazed.

Proof is above!

It ain’t localised though but that’s easy solved in photoshop if required but, it only really adjusts what’s necessary. Again, compare the pics above side by side.

Cheers, Dougie.

great to know, a top tip.
I have no problem with paying $80 for decent software that I'll use for shots like this.
you can't just take shots like this again like you can with other types of photography
thanks

I looked at the software and it's pretty good, I might play some more but won't buy it.
The cost is okay but it has no plugin integration into lightroom (an action or a filter or an output upon export would do).
you can integrate as an external editor but that's it.
They don't have a batch processing mode for post-export from lightroom either.
This would have to be cast by case so not worth the money unfortunately.

I looked at the software and it's pretty good, I might play some more but won't buy it.
The cost is okay but it has no plugin integration into lightroom (an action or a filter or an output upon export would do).
you can integrate as an external editor but that's it.
They don't have a batch processing mode for post-export from lightroom either.
This would have to be cast by case so not worth the money unfortunately.

Understand what you saying but I'd be hoping to use this only when required, not for batch processing where each individual image requires different adjustments ?

Anyway, it's another tool in the tool-chest for me.....

Dougie.

Back