'Braunton' Loco

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Caught Braunton today and chose to go east to beat the incoming clouds from the west so it was taken at Crofton west of Hungerford.The tour was Ely to Bristol.It's still running as Lord Dowding though. The two Canada geese in the canal are used to the locos.

ms2ngg.jpg

Photos often look different when returning later or the next day after editing ,it's why I usually return to one after editing before being satisfied with it. Does anyone think the loco or maybe just the boiler, could do with lightening a tad ? I'm posting this question a day after posting the image.

Last edited:
It looks ok to me, maybe you could lift the shadows a smidgen with an adjustment brush just along the lower half of the engine. I also like the reflection in the water.

It looks ok to me, maybe you could lift the shadows a smidgen with an adjustment brush just along the lower half of the engine. I also like the reflection in the water.

Thanks Dominic. I'd already done that, on the wheels..is that where you meant ? I wouldn't want to take up the exposure anymore on the coupling rods but could maybe look at the rest of it…i.e. above and below the wheels but not the boiler.

See if anyone thinks this is better. Exposure taken up but not on the rods.I suppose you could keep changing an image as people inputted their take on it but it does no harm to see what an adjustment looks like as it's easily removed.

swe3hy.jpg

If you're happy with the way it looks, that's all that really matters.
The area I was thinking of was the lower half of the boiler. But it really was only a very small amount of adjustment. Agreed that you wouldn't want to lighten the rods.

If you're happy with the way it looks, that's all that really matters.
The area I was thinking of was the lower half of the boiler. But it really was only a very small amount of adjustment. Agreed that you wouldn't want to lighten the rods.

I did lighten the boiler some and it started to develop a sheen beyond a certain point so I'll leave it now that but thanks for your input.

Looks fine to me.

Agree Stuart..I can't see much to be gained with anymore adjustments…subtlety is the way too go :)

Next loco for me,weather permitting, is Earl of Mount Edgecumbe. Tysley >Cardiff on Saturday. Was originally going to be Rood Ashton Hall. Just a matter of where to go.

I think I prefer the original John, but it's just personal taste, and I know what you mean about having to step back from your edits for a bit sometimes.

Pondering on what my next mainline shot will be.
Possibly this weekend's Southend - Southall - Bristol.
It's such a shame that the old bridge over the mainline at Southall has been shut (when did it close I wonder, it's 35 years or so since I last used it).

I think I prefer the original John, but it's just personal taste, and I know what you mean about having to step back from your edits for a bit sometimes.

Pondering on what my next mainline shot will be.
Possibly this weekend's Southend - Southall - Bristol.
It's such a shame that the old bridge over the mainline at Southall has been shut (when did it close I wonder, it's 35 years or so since I last used it).

Thanks,Tim. 35 years. Dear me,time flies doesn't it..frightening really.. Ah well, there you go.The original is better. I'll take another look in a day or so..:)

As I got this loco on Tuesday at the same or nearby location as I would for the Southend-Bristol run I'll go for Earl of Mount Edgecombe tomorrow but having said that it's going to be 100% cloud cover and I have good photos of it anyway. Just have to wait and see. It's through here at 0930. I could go track side at a crossing or stand on a 6/7ft. pile or rocks and bricks that were near the crossing and trackside unless they've cleared them by now. On the other hand, maybe not though as when I was last there doing a recce and started back down the pile I slipped and could have broken my leg or ankle but worse,damaged my camera and/or lens..lol.

I wish we got to see some of the locos that do the east side of the country runs up north. Princess Elizabeth seems to have been taken out of service. I've goggled it but nothing shows on the Princess Elizabeth Society websisite

Back