Breaking the Rules

Edit My Images
No
This girl is a stunner. So I could have gone down the usual beauty road. But... I thought I'd experiment. She had a strength about her I wanted to somehow show. So... instead of making her skin smooth and glow, I'm showing all the wrinkles, spots and freckles in a harsh, low-key way. Because her beauty is more than skin deep. No smile either, just a centred, direct chalenging look. One eye half hidden. So yes, it's all 'wrong'. But I like it. (She doesn't) And so far nobody else either. I expect you won't either. It's not a commercial job, so I'm pleasing myself here. Opinions invited. D90, Nikon 85mm f1.4 manual lens at f11. Flash.

Night-Out.jpg

I'm 15th viewer and first to comment :)

At first I thought 'meh'.

The more I look, the more I get what you are after and her 'self' comes through.

This is one that has to be looked at for a while for the beauty to seep out.

I really like this.

I like it a lot. Mainly because i hate the usual over made up false looking stuff.

Works for me, and if you are happy with it, then as the photographer, you have achieved your aim.

I'm 15th viewer and first to comment :)

At first I thought 'meh'.

The more I look, the more I get what you are after and her 'self' comes through.

This is one that has to be looked at for a while for the beauty to seep out.

I really like this.

Glad you decided to comment! Meh, is the reaction I expected. By saying the more you look, the more you see, makes it worthwhile for me. I'm obviously too close to it, so I wasn't sure if it worked or not, but that's exactly the reaction I was hoping to achieve. If a picture can grab and hold an interest, (whether the viewer likes or dislikes) then I'm a happy bunny here.

I like it a lot. Mainly because i hate the usual over made up false looking stuff.

Works for me, and if you are happy with it, then as the photographer, you have achieved your aim.

Thanks Mark, over made up stuff, exactly what I was trying to get away from.

I like it a lot, though I'm not 100% sold on this particular b&w conversion. Somehow it makes her look _slightly_ grubby (sorry)

I'm not really sure which rules you've broken? The posing, framing and lighting are all very good but fairly familiar.
This.
I like what you're trying to do, I'm not sure the processing isn't overdone, it looks far beyond 'honest' and exaggerated to the point of 'mucky'.

And the modern trend for models to be pushed to inhuman perfection isn't a 'rule' it's just fashion, and it's not universally accepted either. Personally I'm disgusted that young ladies pay more attention to their eyebrows and nails than to the plight of the planet or state of the nation. But that makes me sound like an old hippy.

I like it as a portrait of someone working in an engineering workshop or similar. If the skin has dirt on it (grease, shoot) then fine, else it is very strange as the comment above me says too

Well, I for one have had quite enough of rules anyway. I adore this, I think I would like it slightly more if she was looking right at the lens (is that more rule breaking) - eyes being the window to the soul. Imagine this blown up huge and hanging in a gallery, I would love it! It's a shame she doesn't like it, but I haven't met many people who actually like the look of themselves much anyway. And I like the fact that it's dark.

Well I like it, she does look a stunner, and the picture lets her natural beauty come to the fore.

Do you have a colour version?.

[QUOTE=" And I like the fact that it's dark.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Justine, and good to hear from the female of the species!
Thanks to Simon, Phil, Charles and Steven. I fully understand why it, (and/or the processing) is not to your (or most people's taste for that matter) and I appreciate your comments. (and Steven, I've no idea what a grunge/Dragan edit is?) Maybe I'll fall out of love with it in time and agree with you all, but honestly I don't think so. It holds my attention.

Looked at this for a while went away came back looked a bit more and yeah I really like it, I am not sure how I would have processed it as I am still struggling to find a look I like with my own, but I would have been happy if it turned out like this..

Looked at this for a while went away came back looked a bit more and yeah I really like it, I am not sure how I would have processed it as I am still struggling to find a look I like with my own, but I would have been happy if it turned out like this..

Thanks Ian, I hope you find the style you want.

Peter as soon as I saw this image I thought Wow I like that. I then read the comments including yours and.................Wow I still like that.:clap::clap:

Yes... unusual but powerful and evocative. Not 'camera club fodder' by any means! Like others I can't stand the overly made-up shots that we often see of young women... I believe that we are shooting portraits, not Max Factor adverts so congratulations for getting the model to do away with all the slap and try something new. I wish I had taken this one.

Yes... unusual but powerful and evocative. Not 'camera club fodder' by any means! Like others I can't stand the overly made-up shots that we often see of young women... I believe that we are shooting portraits, not Max Factor adverts so congratulations for getting the model to do away with all the slap and try something new. I wish I had taken this one.

Thanks Rob, very kind words. But I've never been in a camera club so I'll take your word for that!

She's attractive and the lighting and shot is excellent but I don't get the processing. I understand not wanting the glamour glow look but for me you've gone too far the other way. The result is the harsh - high structure if it's used Nik making her look grubby, almost a 21st century urchin.

Fair comment Wayne, but you know, that 21century urchin look I kinda like!

What struck me straight away was the power & the connection I feel to the subject

It does indeed go against lighting convention (I hate 'rules' too), but that's never bothered me where the result works, and for me, this works very well indeed; and yes, I'm including the fact that I like the PP too for daring to be different

So I'll just say - well done :)

Dave

Last edited:
What struck me straight away was the power & the connection I feel to the subject

It does indeed go against lighting convention (I hate 'rules' too), but that's never bothered me where the result works, and for me, this works very well indeed; and yes, I'm including the fact that I like the PP too for daring to be different

So I'll just say - well done :)

Dave

Thanks Dave, glad you find the connection with the subject strong!

I like it. It's got a nice tight tonal range and it's what I categorise as an 'honest' portrait ... y'know, warts and all. I can appreciate why the sitter doesn't like it; it's not what you might call flattering is it? The one thing I'd change if it were mine is to slightly burn in the bit of scarf immediately below the chin. That brighter bit looks out of place as it is. A third of a stop should do it.

Last edited:
The more I see this the more I like it.
The expression, the lighting, the raised eyebrow and almost smile, the separation from the background, the detail, the eye contact...

I could go on :)

I disagree with most comments

You have made the young lady look as though she has some kind of skin disease ...... I just find the image unpleasant in it's processing

Is it some kind of alternative take on the well publicised image of the Afghan girl, (I think she was Afghan), with the beautiful eyes

I also do not under stand "breaking the rules" - but I am not really a photographer of people or even a photographer

what does the young lady think of the image?

Last edited:
The more I see this the more I like it.
The expression, the lighting, the raised eyebrow and almost smile, the separation from the background, the detail, the eye contact...

I could go on :)

Thanks Ken, appreciate that, and also you popping back in to comment!

I disagree with most comments

You have made the young lady look as though she has some kind of skin disease ...... I just find the image unpleasant in it's processing

Is it some kind of alternative take on the well publicised image of the Afghan girl, (I think she was Afghan), with the beautiful eyes

I also do not under stand "breaking the rules" - but I am not really a photographer of people or even a photographer

what does the young lady think of the image?

BiLLN_33, it would be a sad bad world if we all agreed, thanks for taking the time to comment. If I'd have obeyed convention (or rules) you'd probably quite like this I guess. And that is kinda the point. But it has garnered a reaction from you and that is a positive in my mind. Is it an alternative take on the Afghan girl shot? I know the one you mean, and no, it isn't. The answers to your other two questions can be found by reading the opening post.

I like the strength of the image - my first thought was that this was street photography and that she was a vagrant - but then saw the clean and brushed hair. It's not a beauty shot *to me* but about the character. (y)

I like the strength of the image - my first thought was that this was street photography and that she was a vagrant - but then saw the clean and brushed hair. It's not a beauty shot *to me* but about the character. (y)

Exactly Toni, thank you!

This.
I like what you're trying to do, I'm not sure the processing isn't overdone, it looks far beyond 'honest' and exaggerated to the point of 'mucky'.

And the modern trend for models to be pushed to inhuman perfection isn't a 'rule' it's just fashion, and it's not universally accepted either. Personally I'm disgusted that young ladies pay more attention to their eyebrows and nails than to the plight of the planet or state of the nation. But that makes me sound like an old hippy.
This exactly.

Back