BREXIT Holiday - Would you ?

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
If your planning a European holiday for July 2019.. Would you book now or wait until after March (Supposedly brexit deadline) AND ..Why would you do either ?

I'll wait till June - because I never get round to planning holidays early!

What actually will change. We want a holiday they want our money

What actually will change. We want a holiday they want our money

That was my understanding.. I didn't think anything would change.. then you see things like free movement.. people giving it doom and gloom for brexit... got a bit lost in it all so thought i would ask :)

Doubt that holidays will be impacted in any significant way.

But I do wonder about the situation that expats will find themselves in:-
UK retirees in receipt of their uk state pensions.???
UK citizens that have relocated and/or run businesses in any of the 27 EU countries???

All the Brexit talks seem very quiet on these two categories???

As Mr Box says I doubt anything will change , anyone with a passport can visit Europe so why not us, nobody seems to be talking about Visas , I'd think Kavos would shut down for 4 months without the british youth so I don't imagine they'd be happy.

I'm thinking about taking the Mustang to Europe but I don't do extreme heat so it's probably going to be spring time anyway , I'd book a holiday on a credit card without worrying about it, cash however, I'd be nervous

There is going to be a transition period of at least 12 months (there was a suggestion of 24 months) from March. Next summers holidays should see no difference.
We're planning a trip around Belgium in June-July.

Already booked and paid for flights and booked accommodation. Might be longer queues at the airports but I doubt they'll be any longer than when an EU flight arrives shortly after a Russian one...

I'm heading for Classic Spa next year. I suspect the french will make the channel crossing as awkward as they can, like they did the day after the brexit vote.
They shut all customs booths apart from 2 and took 10-15 mins per vehicle to pass. When I asked what the problem was they said it was our fault for voting to leave...
We were lucky with only a two hour wait for the trains as we were close to the booths, but traffic was reported as backed up the dual carriageway...

The French will never forgive us for not being cheese eating surrender monkeys! :p

The question wasn't so much to go or not.. well a bit... . but to book pre or post brexit...

I think I will book :)

ta

It's a bit of a gamble as to which way prices will go - our flights were actually cheaper than they were this year so we booked early.

It's a bit of a gamble as to which way prices will go - our flights were actually cheaper than they were this year so we booked early.

i don't fly so thats OK haha.. but hotels n stuff...

That's down to the exchange rate when we do the money thing.

Already booked travel and hotel for European trips next year.
Not looking forward to the day when I can't use the European biometric passport lane.

But never mind I will have that all important Blue passport to admire when i'm stuck in a bloody long queue waiting to get it inspected.
Happily swap it for an EU one if that option was available

Last edited:
If there is a 'no deal' Brexit; there are a number of potential negative consequences for holidaymakers.

A great deal depends on whether we remain part of (or negotiate a alternative to) the 'Open Skies' agreement:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/18/thousands-holidays-cancelled-brexit-7641496/

There may be disruption to other forms of travel:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...mpensation-rights-to-be-unaffected-by-brexit/

And also there is uncertainty about the validity of the EHIC medical cards post Brexit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972

If there is a 'no deal' Brexit; there are a number of potential negative consequences for holidaymakers.

A great deal depends on whether we remain part of (or negotiate a alternative to) the 'Open Skies' agreement:

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/18/thousands-holidays-cancelled-brexit-7641496/

There may be disruption to other forms of travel:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/n...mpensation-rights-to-be-unaffected-by-brexit/

And also there is uncertainty about the validity of the EHIC medical cards post Brexit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44850972

the sort of doom and gloom i was seeing that led to my question... however thankfully not much of that effects me.. looking at ferry and driving abroad as i dont fly..

the sort of doom and gloom i was seeing that led to my question... however thankfully not much of that effects me.. looking at ferry and driving abroad as i dont fly..

Hopefully things will be worked out.

As you are driving; you may still care to read (in the second link) the section on green cards.

Obviously, everything is entirely speculative at this moment.

Which, in itself, shows the current lamentable state of affairs.

A lot of the fear is being stoked by Juncker and Barnier, with Varadkar and Macron posturing like little emperors. Germany is realising it has a lot to lose if there is no deal, France and Ireland haven't yet realised they will lose out a lot more if they continue to be more constructive.

People berate Trump be he is an elected leader but 48% still believe being in a club run by Juncker and Tusk is better - there is no election IIRC for role of EU commissioner or EU president....

March 2019 will come and go, I am just waiting for the next DFDS deals before booking my next trip to Germany at the end of May for the NSU Treffen in Lauenberg, and we will stop at Carrefour.

A lot of the fear is being stoked by Juncker and Barnier, with Varadkar and Macron posturing like little emperors. Germany is realising it has a lot to lose if there is no deal, France and Ireland haven't yet realised they will lose out a lot more if they continue to be more constructive.

People berate Trump be he is an elected leader but 48% still believe being in a club run by Juncker and Tusk is better - there is no election IIRC for role of EU commissioner or EU president....

March 2019 will come and go, I am just waiting for the next DFDS deals before booking my next trip to Germany at the end of May for the NSU Treffen in Lauenberg, and we will stop at Carrefour.

I'm not sure what your comments, particularly those about Trump, are doing in this thread which is about the possible travel ramifications of Brexit.

I guess a lot of people can talk about 'fear stoking' before we actually leave the E.U. and I should imagine those same people will talk about the UK being 'punished' should there be any negative consequences from leaving.

But what I imagine those same people won't be saying is 'Perhaps leaving the E.U. does have its downsides' ...

Thats cause they've been banned.

Not entirely correct. There are no roaming charges within the EU, but outside of the EU there are. Some operators offer some tariffs that include inclusive roaming in some other destinations.

I'm not sure what your comments, particularly those about Trump, are doing in this thread which is about the possible travel ramifications of Brexit.

I guess a lot of people can talk about 'fear stoking' before we actually leave the E.U. and I should imagine those same people will talk about the UK being 'punished' should there be any negative consequences from leaving.

But what I imagine those same people won't be saying is 'Perhaps leaving the E.U. does have its downsides' ...

Likewise though, do you really think we will not be able to fly to Europe. What would the knock on effects be for thousands of people, us going there, them coming here, people from the US changing at LGW etc... Is it possible, of course, anything is, but is it likely, I very much doubt it. There is a transition phase that can be extended. There is no reason why air travel should be any different.

Likewise though, do you really think we will not be able to fly to Europe. What would the knock on effects be for thousands of people, us going there, them coming here, people from the US changing at LGW etc... Is it possible, of course, anything is, but is it likely, I very much doubt it. There is a transition phase that can be extended. There is no reason why air travel should be any different.

Do I think it's likely that we will not be able to fly to the EU? No I don't. I hope that common sense prevails.

Likewise I hope medicines remain readily available and that lorries can travel across borders without hindrance.

But the government are looking at stockpiling medicines and are making plans to turn vast sections of motorways into lorry parks.

So whilst we should be able to carry on flying to the EU after Brexit; who can actually guarantee it?

The fact that we are now so close to departure and we have no idea of how things will pan out is simply incredible. It is a colossal failure of government.

I know that during the referendum we were told of the glorious future we would have outside the E.U. I would have had more respect for that argument if instead we were told 'These are the opportunities and these are the risks'

Sadly we were not spoken to honestly.

I know that during the referendum we were told of the glorious future we would have outside the E.U. I would have had more respect for that argument if instead we were told 'These are the opportunities and these are the risks'

Sadly we were not spoken to honestly.

Exactly this, both sides were guilty of sugar-coating or using fear to put their own argument forward.

Exactly this, both sides were guilty of sugar-coating or using fear to put their own argument forward.

Glad I didn't vote on it then.. Nobody fooled me :)

Does anyone still pay roaming charges? Genuine question. I've travelled all over the world and never paid for roaming.
What network are you on that has no roaming charges worldwide?
Well, when I said I've travelled all over the world, I didn't actually mean that I've been to every single country. But in addition to EU countries (where roaming is free by mandate), I've also been to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Israel, Australia, New Zealand and USA without paying any roaming charges. I'm on Three and my monthly contract includes roaming in dozens of countries as standard.

Well, when I said I've travelled all over the world, I didn't actually mean that I've been to every single country. But in addition to EU countries (where roaming is free by mandate), I've also been to Switzerland, Norway, Iceland, Israel, Australia, New Zealand and USA without paying any roaming charges. I'm on Three and my monthly contract includes roaming in dozens of countries as standard.

Same here. I think the other networks also do the same thing too.

You’re pretty lucky that by coincidence you’ve managed to only visit countries in “Go Roam” on Three.

http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations

You’ll find that most of Africa and a lot of South America and Asia still have high roaming rates. Three claim “72 destinations” (they used to say countries but fell foul of the ASA) including places like the Balearics, Azores, Canary Islands, Macau, Guam, Madeira and all the overseas French Departments as individual countries destinations.

On other networks, like (o2 and EE) there’s very little free roaming outside the EU (EE have an additional 5 non EU countries included in their more expensive Max plans).

This is the kind of prices you can expect for rest of the world pricing on Three.

BAA9-EC26-3-D05-4016-A0-AA-8-B1-ADF0-F4-E2-B.jpg

No, Three has a lot more non-EU inclusive roaming when compared to the other networks. O2 as an example has none.

As an example of what you can expect on o2, in a popular destination like the USA.

C07682-E9-EC46-40-B3-985-B-A6-B2-DBA83-CE8.jpg

200MB for £120 a month is allegedly a special offer [emoji33]

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/internationalhub

Many O2 Refresh and SIMO tariffs include Travel Inclusive ZONE which gives you minutes, sms and data in 27 countries outside the EU. INCLUDING the USA.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone

Last edited:
Many O2 Refresh and SIMO tariffs include Travel Inclusive ZONE which gives you minutes, sms and data in 27 countries outside the EU. INCLUDING the USA.

https://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel-inclusive-zone

Looking at your link

The following destinations form our O2 Travel Inclusive Zone:

Argentina Honduras
Australia Madagascar
Botswana Mexico
Canada Myanmar
Chile New Zealand
Colombia Nicaragua
Costa Rica Panama
Ecuador Paraguay
El Salvador Peru
Greenland Rwanda
Guatamala United States
Guinea Uruguay
Guyana Venezuela
Yemen

Free O2 Travel in our Inclusive Zone is available with selected phones and tablets on our 4GB, and 15GB and above O2 Refresh tariffs, as well as our £20 and above 12 month sim only tariffs. It’s not available on any other sim only tariff, O2 Refresh tariffs below 4GB, or 5GB and 10GB O2 Refresh tariffs.

Pay As You Go tariffs are not eligible for O2 Travel in our Inclusive Zone, so standard international roaming rates will apply.

Talk about complicated (I thought only Vodafone were like that, which is why I omitted them).

Last edited:
is the isle of wight included , not that I'm going there just curious in case I can afford the diesel ,and the ferry charges ,and the caravan site charges :rolleyes:

Back