Critique Brian

Falco P hunter extraordinaire......but my friends can call me Beaky......my prey, they just say WTF ;)

Is that a Peregrine? We have a nesting pair at our local church. This year they’ve raised to chicks. I’ve got a few shots, but after seeing yours I’m too embarrassed to post them:) great image!

Lovely bird- I'm not sure the position ( POV) suits such a magnificent raptor though

You are right he does have a posher name- its Falco peregrinus

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lads thanks for the replies, lol Les the POV is shocking I should be hung drawn and quartered for even trying to make the image :LOL: It is unworthy of them ,but I have some background reasons why I have shown this which I'll come back to. TBF there really only was one chance to make something nicer and frankly I was too slow, no excuses, simply not good enough :)

Russ it's a small country church, It's a fairly new nest site, in use 3 years now. I met the guy whom first saw the pair mate He acted quick sharp got a dog basket ( I just love that:cool:) up top for them with the vicar's help. They have been rearing their kids in it since ,it's just a lovely little story Russ.

The funny thing is the church is very old and pretty and is visited by folks from far away, well, all over the world in fact . Tis constantly being photographed. So I simply have no reservations about making images because they completely ignore image makers,. I did actually not get the camera out until I'd spoken to someone, they are schedule one after all. The gent who popped the dog basket up said they encourage image makers,as the birds are simply so safe we simply cannot disturb them ........ He actively encouraged us to show folks, so we spent the day showing visitors the birds.

Lads I'll share why I posted. the image the place is a complete nightmare to make images at, but as you do you try anyway. I had one real chance and I was too slow,so all we came back with was the odd image of this ilk.

Les is right the POV is so high the camera is virtually pointing upwards. I stuck the 2X ext iii on so made this at 800mm.but the bird is still waay too far way. As we were looking at the images my lass said will you process one for me to look at properly.

So that is the above frame.........guys the crop is stupid, it's somewhere around a 100% or more. just rediculous. I kept going back to look at it and each time came back feeling unable to believe what it looked like , it's just bonkers My camera has 20.2mega pixel sensor, so it's not densely packed by todays standards. Guys look the image is compromised in man many ways , I just thought it might be interesting sharing this as a talking point as much as anything.

I was also curious as if anyone would be aware of how big this crop is. I never really know what we see on the fora, so was also interested to see what came back comment wise

Leroy thanks for the kind words, I do use some lovely tools, they do help. I would guess that's a big part of why you perceive a difference in this frame and you own. As I say I'm more than taken a back by how this looks I didn't expect this in any way.from sch a huge crop. I normally tend to post around full frame or haul my self over the coals for wasting detail, so more than a little surprised by the above meself:)

1/1000 f8 ISO 3200

many thanks all

stu

Not a bad attempt at all Stu considering pov angle, I was expecting some poop on the lens as it looked down at you, little bit of grain but to say its about 100% crop its very usable (y)

Not a bad attempt at all Stu considering pov angle, I was expecting some poop on the lens as it looked down at you, little bit of grain but to say its about 100% crop its very usable (y)

I was stunned by it Martin bar me darlin egging me on I don't think I'd have even bothered tp process it, an eye opener me olde mate !! :)

Back