Bride and Groom

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
Last edited:
Very nice images.

Personally, I'd remove the 3rd from last, as they look like they're having an argument :)

I liked the 'cool' walk away part of the shot and tried to ignore it :) but yes i just see that now...pah

People seemed to 'like/love' it still :D

They're a fabulous set Dan, although I think in 3rd from last he's saying "what do you mean, I'm sleeping on the settee tonight??!".

Top set Dan - The couple I'm sure, will love all of the above images

Les :)

How come you usually dread bride & groom portraits @dancook for most wedding photographers that is their favourite part of the day?

Because I'm a functional introvert who's debilitated by the fear of failure. The hurdle, before I start feeling confident about doing something, causes me a lot of anxiety which hinders the creative process. The first time I did a paid photo-shoot I was a sweaty mess devoid of inspiration.

I spend so much time trying to imagine the whole process in my mind, and how to combat all the worst case scenarios - I'm feeling anxious now just thinking about this..

Took me 15 minutes to write this much... serious over-thinker.. even now I'm reconsidering whether I've kept it concise or over-dramatised things..
Client e-mails take me an age, I ask Louise to proof read most of them.

Did I even answer the question? :) By comparison I love candid photography where I can do what I do without having to interact with people.

Because I'm a functional introvert who's debilitated by the fear of failure. The hurdle, before I start feeling confident about doing something, causes me a lot of anxiety which hinders the creative process. The first time I did a paid photo-shoot I was a sweaty mess devoid of inspiration.

I spend so much time trying to imagine the whole process in my mind, and how to combat all the worst case scenarios - I'm feeling anxious now just thinking about this..

Took me 15 minutes to write this much... serious over-thinker.. even now I'm reconsidering whether I've kept it concise or over-dramatised things..

Did I even answer the question? :) By comparison I love candid photography where I can do what I do without having to interact with people.

I'm very much the same, organising people for shots is my worst nightmare. I actually don't usually like posed shots, but these are good.

I only shoot at events where the client wants 'natural' shots so I can float around unseen in the background!

That sounds pretty normal to be fair. I think most photographers feel a bit like that with weddings and portraits, I guess confidence comes into it a little too. With weddings it probably took a 100 or so before I would say I got into my stride and started to feel a little more confident. For my first few weddings I actually felt quite ill the day before just because I felt a bit anxious. That absolutely made the job more difficult.

This might work for you it did for me, have you thought about just getting them to do a few silly things at the start of the session? It will help you and them relax a little bit before you get properly started. Just as an example just tell them to stand in front of you and try and knock each other over, stuff like that really does help.

I am not offering any sort of critique here as this isn't the part of the forum for it, I will say you have done a good job nailing exposure and the technical bits. Just something for you to try next time though, when you have them walking next time tell them to not look directly ahead and chat to each other as they are coming. If they are a fun couple tell them to tell each other a dirty joke.

I'm very much the same, organising people for shots is my worst nightmare. I actually don't usually like posed shots, but these are good.

I only shoot at events where the client wants 'natural' shots so I can float around unseen in the background!

Thanks,

I like to give them the freedom to enjoy themselves and with some kind of direction whilst, the occasional suggestion whilst I shoot around them.

I have the worries of what if that's not enough to get the results, what if they are too awkward about it - but actually doing it and having success from it helps me feel more confident it will keep working.

That sounds pretty normal to be fair. I think most photographers feel a bit like that with weddings and portraits, I guess confidence comes into it a little too. With weddings it probably took a 100 or so before I would say I got into my stride and started to feel a little more confident. For my first few weddings I actually felt quite ill the day before just because I felt a bit anxious. That absolutely made the job more difficult.

This might work for you it did for me, have you thought about just getting them to do a few silly things at the start of the session? It will help you and them relax a little bit before you get properly started. Just as an example just tell them to stand in front of you and try and knock each other over, stuff like that really does help.

I am not offering any sort of critique here as this isn't the part of the forum for it, I will say you have done a good job nailing exposure and the technical bits. Just something for you to try next time though, when you have them walking next time tell them to not look directly ahead and chat to each other as they are coming. If they are a fun couple tell them to tell each other a dirty joke.

The above couple would be my third solo wedding in the last couple of years. Most of my income is currently from schools events, and I don't market my weddings.

I've been a second shooter for about 30 weddings perhaps, but the main photographer uses a print out for the couples shots and gets them to copy the poses - not something I wanted to do.

I do feel more comfortable with prompts versus poses, but the 'dirty joke' one is something I would struggle to suggest.

My couples have responded very well to, and feel very comfortable with

Hand-in-hand, bump hips whilst walking towards me
Or I've put them under a tree and have them practice their first dance.

Last edited:
The above couple would be my third solo wedding in the last couple of years. Most of my income is currently from schools events, and I don't market my weddings.

I've been a second shooter for about 30 weddings perhaps, but the main photographer uses a print out for the couples shots and gets them to copy the poses - not something I wanted to do.

I do feel more comfortable with prompts versus poses, but the 'dirty joke' one is something I would struggle to suggest.

My couples have responded very well to, and feel very comfortable with

Hand-in-hand, bump hips whilst walking towards me
Or I've put them under a tree and have them practice their first dance.

:oops: :$ thats sounds really tedious.

When I first started photographing weddings I worked for another girl and shot about 25-30 weddings with her. She had a list of photos that had to be taken at every wedding and each one had to be ticked off after the shot was taken. This included all sorts of stuff including a weird photo she liked to get at prep with all the bridesmaids and the bride lined up at the fireplace. She was quite old school. Looking back on it now I guess the list was her coping mechanism, she got so stuck in her ways though that she would never deviate from the list. I hated it, which is why when couples sometimes ask abouty providing a list I always say no.

In terms of prompts, yeah you gotta do what you feel condfident with so dirty joke could be just be tell each other a joke, ask the bride to hum her favourite songs and the groom needs to guess what song it is etc.

:oops: :$ thats sounds really tedious.

The couples seem to like it, makes it easy for them I guess - but I didn't want to become reliant/dependant in that way.

I was also dreading organising the bridal party for elaborate or silly group shots - but for now the couples are happy to do them in keeping with the posed family group shots.

One of the groomsmen at the previous wedding even said 'lets do something silly' and the groom declined :) seems like my clients are a good fit for me!

The couples seem to like it, makes it easy for them I guess - but I didn't want to become reliant/dependant in that way.

I was also dreading organising the bridal party for elaborate or silly group shots - but for now the couples are happy to do them in keeping with the posed family group shots.

One of the groomsmen at the previous wedding even said 'lets do something silly' and the groom declined :) seems like my clients are a good fit for me!

He must be some craic at a party.

Lovely set, you and they should be very happy with those (y)

Lovely set, you and they should be very happy with those (y)

I delivered the full set a few days after the wedding and heard nothing. A week passes and I’m dreading emailing them to follow it up in case it’s bad :) their glowing response had been sitting in drafts and they were so sorry they didn’t send it.. phew

My wife really enjoyed your pictures, she was saying we should have hired you :D

Ha thanks, too kind !

Having shot a few weddings for friends & family, the biggest issue I really have is managing to keep the details in both a white dress and a dark suit, especially when it's bright & sunny outside. You've done a great job here....

Having shot a few weddings for friends & family, the biggest issue I really have is managing to keep the details in both a white dress and a dark suit, especially when it's bright & sunny outside. You've done a great job here....

Thanks Steve! I always use Sunny mode on the EVF, which I then balance visually which means everything is a little under-exposed - which is good for highlights. I'm typically dialled in -0.7 ev as default.

Sounds like me at a lot of (none photograph) business firsts, first meetings with potential major new clients, first solo overseas suppliers visits, first trade show stand organised solo, first interviews for new staff etc etc.

cracking set of images though.

Sounds like me at a lot of (none photograph) business firsts, first meetings with potential major new clients, first solo overseas suppliers visits, first trade show stand organised solo, first interviews for new staff etc etc.

cracking set of images though.

Anything in which others may judge you really :) Thanks Jon

Back