Bride styled shoot

• Thread starter Deleted member 89208
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 89208

What do you think?
Please be gentle with me.

The hair was a nightmare, (total understatement) but has prepared me to deal with the worst.. I hope.

lucy2web.jpg

Are you asking about the photography, lighting, processing or all of it?

She looks happy, so that's likely to be a winner with the customer. The upper part of the image looks half a stop darker to me, and the image is a bit flat and lacking in sparkle. Not sure colour balance it spot-on. Skin looks a little mottled and the border around the top of the hair against the background looks a little strange to me, though it's hard to say why exactly at this size.

I hope that's useful - no malice intended in my comments.

It's probably the exposure (or lighting) as Toni said, but there feels to be a disconnect between the face and the body.

It's probably the exposure (or lighting) as Toni said, but there feels to be a disconnect between the face and the body.
I think it may be partially caused by the make up, made her skin completely different to the rest, I tried to correct it but could revisit the tones.

Are you asking about the photography, lighting, processing or all of it?

She looks happy, so that's likely to be a winner with the customer. The upper part of the image looks half a stop darker to me, and the image is a bit flat and lacking in sparkle. Not sure colour balance it spot-on. Skin looks a little mottled and the border around the top of the hair against the background looks a little strange to me, though it's hard to say why exactly at this size.

I hope that's useful - no malice intended in my comments.
Thank you! was just looking for general critique really, I think the lack of sparkle is just the way I like to edit - I like it quite matte, if that makes sense? The skin mottling yes.. I tried a few techniques to get rid of this, it was a fair bit worse. How do you combat it? I didn't want to loose integrity of the skin. And the hair, I know what you mean completely. Again, several attempts at taming it because there was sooooo much frizz.

Cheers for your input guys! Nice to beable to have things like this pointed out, its so easy to get lost in your own work sometimes!

Honestly, the look doesn't work because of the inconsistencies in the image don't gel with what you expect to see - it just looks 'wrong' but it can be hard to say/spot why.

Assuming you're looking for critique on the post processing rather than the photo?
  • It might be the shadow on the bottom half doesn't match the lighting on face. Did you cut out and then create a drop shadow?
  • The hair on the left hand side (as you look at it) is too flat against the background. You would be hard pushed to get no shadow around the head if she was as close to the background as the bottom part looks unless you had some really weird lighting.
  • The face just doesn't match the body, perhaps it was the make-up, but I suspect the processing has exaggerated the difference.
  • The whole bride against a pure white backdrop just doesn't feel right. A bride is supposed to be at a wedding, in context, unless you're selling the dress / flowers etc. Perhaps that's what's messing with my head.
Personally, I'd not try to recreate this look in post. Much easier to plan for it instead.

Ah yes, as David said, in tidying the hair you've lost the subtle shadow on the left.

It looks as though it has had a lot of post work but it's hard to tell how much of that is error correction and how much is attempting to enhance the image.
I'll attempt to make some more useful suggestions if you post the original.

Back