Bridge to Nowhere

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
The first 2 are shots I have had in mind for ages, driving over the bridge on an almost daily basis. The conditions had to be right though, and circumstances worked against me for previous chances. So, it was out of bed at 4.30am again and off to work.

Orwell Bridge to Nowhere by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Orwell Bridge to Nowhere by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Orwell Bridge Abstract by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Orwell Bridge Abstract by Craig Hollis, on Flickr

Last image removed, not in keeping with the series really.

Last edited:
Excellent set, I like those very much :)

Good series. The 2nd to last for me, the road acts as a strong lead in to the frame

Thanks Steve, not my normal 'style' of photography but the view inside the bridge caught my attention so strongly I spent some time looking deeper into it until I saw this shot.

Some cool shots here! I take it a number of these are either at 90 or even 180 degrees to how they were shot?

Thanks Andrew, yep shot 4 is the inverted one. Tilted the lens up to frame it how I wanted then corrected verticals and flipped in post, to get the shot I imagined when I was there.

Nicely done Craig, 2 and 4 work best IMO.

Thanks Neil, nice to hear coming from you.

Orwell Bridge?

Like all of em mate.

Also from you Neil, yep the Orwell.

Great set Craig, 3 is my favourite I think (maybe inverted) but a very strong set overall.

Thanks Ned, actually that is the correct way up. The highlight line at the top is the slight gap between the carriageways above. The river defence rock standings are just visible at the bottom, it was low tide.

liking them,

Excellent set, I like those very much :)

Thanks both.

strangely, I really like the 2 with the sig at the top; look like advertising for aftershave or something

These would make cracking Ian Rankin Book Covers! The first and Third shots stand out particularly for me.

Inspiring that no matter how grim the weather... there is always something worth shooting!

I drive over this bridge every day and have taken a few pics over the years, but have nothing that compares to these. Great angle, especially with the mist, The views towards sunrise and sunset often make spectacular landscapes , so to think of these cold, industrial views and capture them well is to be congratulated (especially photo no. 1). I will look at the bridge differently on Monday morning.

Great set, especially No3

A cracking set Craig :)

Thanks guys.

strangely, I really like the 2 with the sig at the top; look like advertising for aftershave or something

These would make cracking Ian Rankin Book Covers! The first and Third shots stand out particularly for me.

Inspiring that no matter how grim the weather... there is always something worth shooting!

Cheers, Nice that you see book covers or aftershave adverts within the abstracts. That is what is so good about this genre it can mean different things to different views, but it is really just shapes and tonal contrasts. And there is no such thing as bad light, only no light as far as photographers are concerned (keep telling yourself this anyway - I try to!).

These are really good, very crisp, neat, and nicely abstract, with good atmosphere too.

Is the 'nowhere' side the Essex or the Felixstowe one?

Thanks, the first shot is taken from Wherstead so looking towards Felixstowe. The remainder are taken from Nacton looking back to the West.

I drive over this bridge every day and have taken a few pics over the years, but have nothing that compares to these. Great angle, especially with the mist, The views towards sunrise and sunset often make spectacular landscapes , so to think of these cold, industrial views and capture them well is to be congratulated (especially photo no. 1). I will look at the bridge differently on Monday morning.

Thanks Mark. Where abouts are you based then and do you find much inspiration locally? Yes I appreciate the bridge works in those conditions but for me I have wanted it in these conditions for years. Just how things and scenes make you feel I guess.

Back