South-West England Bridport - Dorset

Name
Lewis
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going down to Dorset with my family for a week later in the month, staying near Bridport. I am hoping to get out for some photography - probably a morning or two and maybe one evening/night to try some astrophotography. Can anybody recommend some locations?

It's full of places mate, seriously. Since moving to the West Country I can't believe how great it is. My favourite is just the other side of Weymouth, Osmington Mills. The cliffs around Burton Bradstock, where you can get down on the beach. You have the obvious Durdle Dor, which is also good for a bit of astro as the milky way is in the southern sky.

OK i'm not capable of anything so good, GreenNinja but i can see some distortion / star trailing and a sense of being overexposed. I'm guessing you didn't [much] aftertouch?

I'm actually liking the bizarre rawness of the milky way in that shot though. Almost terrifying.

Blimey..... I find there are too many places.....

Abbotsbury, West Bay, Charmouth, Colmers Hill, Portland and the lighthouse, Weymouth, Kimmeridge, Tyneham, Worbarrow, Durdle Door, Lulworth, Mupe Bay, Corfe Castle, Swanage, Old Harry Rocks, Chesil Beach, Lyme Regis Cobb......

Thanks all - it sounds like I am going to have plenty of options!

It's full of places mate, seriously. Since moving to the West Country I can't believe how great it is. My favourite is just the other side of Weymouth, Osmington Mills. The cliffs around Burton Bradstock, where you can get down on the beach. You have the obvious Durdle Dor, which is also good for a bit of astro as the milky way is in the southern sky.
We're staying in Burton Bradstock, so that sounds really promising!

Thanks all - it sounds like I am going to have plenty of options!

We're staying in Burton Bradstock, so that sounds really promising!

If I get the chance, maybe I could join you for a bit of astro, as I've never really done it before.

Hopefully the weather is going to be good - I’ve ordered a new tripod and filter set for this trip!

Hopefully the weather is going to be good - I’ve ordered a new tripod and filter set for this trip!

Other than a 10 stop ND filter, I've stopped using them for landscapes. I shoot a 7 or 9 exposure "HDR" style image and blend around 5 of them in LR. You can always add an additional grad there as well if you need to.

I’ve just gone for screw in ND filters - couldn’t decide between 6 and 10 stop, but got a 3/6/10 set for a decent price.

OK i'm not capable of anything so good, GreenNinja but i can see some distortion / star trailing and a sense of being overexposed. I'm guessing you didn't [much] aftertouch?

I'm actually liking the bizarre rawness of the milky way in that shot though. Almost terrifying.

Probably all those things.

Used 17mm so 60 secs was twice the exposure it should have been to stop the stars trailing.

Coma is bad too.

As I said one of my first attempts at astro.

Back