Critique Brighton Pebbles

Welcome Steve!

…so be kind
…not to be expected from a bear. Ever!

There is a trap in this cool low PoV shot of yours. A decision
about the right PoF and strategy because no lens will support
this ambitious wish for such a scene.

Maybe a focus stacking strategy could get you there! :cool:

I've tried the same shot many times in many variations - the west pier as the focal point, the near pebbles, the far pebbles etc, and it's a really tricky shot to capture the 'mood' of the location well.

You could try to introduce some obvious foreground interest. There's usually a lot of detritus around there on an early Saturday / Sunday morning - you can go for the usual flotsam and jetsam (if you walk up to the groyne directly in front of the Pier, you can find small pieces of the metal from the pier itself that can make a nice connection when placed in the foreground, and they are small enough to work with the low down angle), or you can pick up all sorts of debris from the party scene just behind you - discarded high heal shoes are quite common!

The other option is colour - if the lights good, the golden pebbles, and aqua of the sea and the blue of the sky broken by the dark, sharp outline of the Pier works well.

Hi Steve and welcome to the Frey!!! I'm always kind (well mostly).

I guess everyone has there own take on composition and technique don't they Steve, Photography is subjective isn't it

Its a nice image, however for me the immediate foreground being OOF throws me, this is a personal thing and just my OCD problem;), take no notice, it is the spice of photography, everyone's style, ideas and perspective is different, it would be a pretty boring forum if everything was the same! My OCD came about only because in my younger days of Photography a lot of my flipping shots were plagued by blurred items in the foreground and I came to hate it:eek:. That's my hang up so don't worry!:D.
I think if I had taken the shot, I would probably have taken a couple of shots and blended them together with layer masks in PS rather than consider stacking just to bring the foreground and middle ground in focus. BTW the horizon needs a little tweak too.

When I see any photograph I tend to study it and think of all the possibilities, what could be and what I can wring out of a location. Very rarely do I go to a location and get the shot that I want the first time. But its great to have a starting place I always like to have a base image then I can think about the possibilities, i'm normally not switched on enough to work all that out on my first trip;).

Its great to have a location like this close to home, which i assume it is, Here for example with your image I can visualize really black clouds behind the pier and the pier lit up with shafts of sunlight, or maybe a night shot with a friend down the beach with a powerful lamp light painting the pier for you.... Don't worry just my mind driveling on.

Anyhow nice work Steve and a good starter for ten... looking forward to your next posts!

Last edited:
Back