Brighton pier by starlight

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Went out a few nights ago to try and capture something of the night sky, originally headed towards Beachy Head, but a series of road closures put me so far behind in travel so diverted to Brighton Pier to see what was possible. I was pleasantly surprised how many stars I could still get, even with the city only meters behind me, although you are looking south into the darkness of the english channel.

I was a bit confused by the lights in the distance until I found out online about the wind farm out in the channel. Living abroad for a few years you get out of touch with what is going on!!

Taken using the 50mm 1.8, stopped down slightly to f2.2, ISO 6400, 10 seconds, a stack of 5 images to improve noise reduction. These settings were a balance to maximise recovery, not blow the image given the ambient light, and limit star trailing. Processed in lightroom, sequator and photoshop.

The 50mm has horrendous image artefacts and the outer stars have "angel wings", but unless you blow it up you can't really tell. The duration / ISO balance managed to keep some colour in the stars. I'd like to go back when the Milky way is in a better position and shoot this with the galactic centre as a backdrop. Based on this image I think it can be done.

Constructive C&C welcome.

Thanks

Alan

Brighton Nights by Alan, on Flickr

Back