Beginner Brighton Pier - long exposure, late evening

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
This is my..... third attempt here with photo-set - so... here it is. Big thanks for everyone who told me especially Andy - who writes very clear instructions. Also I am very happy because I met very kind chap (who also was making photos with his Fuji) who explained me - that not always expensive gear is good :p (I am sending from here greetings to him :D). What else I can say. Photo made at around 9-10 pm.
Please do not hesitate to write critics about this photo - it is my first attempt with this kind of set-up , so I will be very grateful for any clues :D

Brighton Pier - Late Evening
by Tom Stoff, on Flickr

Brighton Pier Part 2
by Tom Stoff, on Flickr

Last edited:
The first one for me Tom, it just has a whole raft of elements that the second one doesn't. I'm thinking of the sign lights, the warmth of the colour in the beach pebbles, the curved whiteness of the breaking waves and the reflected colours in the smooth water. Good stuff!

Technically both are spot on. There is nothing beginner about these. I prefer two, the colours seem more natural and the cool blue tones of the dusky sky work well. Good job on not leaving it too late, theres plenty of ambient light about rendering all the detail you need. I bet the 1st one was taken later on, and the fall in ambient light means the pier detail is harder to resolve.

Both are very nice, and not at all beginner like Steve said. Hard for me to pick a favourite, but I do like 2 a touch more as it's a very simple yet effective composition, and I like the fact the lamps in the 'Brighton Pier' sign take are very much at the forefront of the shot.

No. 1 for me, but I do like the way you captured the Union Jacks fully "open" on both shots. A stiller day and this feature would be missing and yet is a significant feature of the capture.

The time exposure aspect and smoothness of the sea and the typical foaming effect of the waves due to the type exposure in this shot is excellent.

Have to agree with others' comments and add that the colour cast in the first is really all that spoils it for me, and the pier detail in the second makes it the hands down favourite for me.

Peter - thank You for your opinion, I was making this photos yesterday, and I am still learning composing the image (what on the image should be, and what shouldn't) I must agree - that I was, originally, working only at the first photo - then after posting this pic on forum and Flickr, I realised that I have another picture - quite similar but made around 20-30 minutes earlier (pic nr 2) - so I added the second one to the thread :]

Steve - I am glad that You think that there is nothing "beginner" on it - maybe I should stop putting the "beginner" prefix in front the Thread topic? :D, As I explained to Peter - I realized after developing the second pic- that I like it better :] -=about the lightning of "bulbs" - I need to equip myself with some "cheapo" filters at the beginning - The guy who I met on the beach showed what you can do with xcsource nd filters It's amazing :]

Stu - Yes ineed - after posting this two pics on Flickr and Forum - and starring at them - yes - I think you have right.

Ian - stupid question from a foreigner - what is "union jack" :D - the smothness was made without nd filter - so I had wait around 3 hours for a light which allows me - to use the proper shutter speed :/ Next time I'll bring with me - some ND filters (working on the day without ND filters around "big" piers is dangerous - A seagull attacked me while I was eating chips :/ :)

I really like the first one too. The colours seem to give it more of a feel to it. Well done

Back