Brighton Pier with "cheapo" nd Filter

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi!
I just wanted to show you what can do cheap "cokin style" nd filter made by xcsource.

Brighton Pier - Pan from Wheel side
by Tom Stoff, on Flickr

The post processing of this photo is already done. What I noticed:
- when you are taking picture - a huge blue color cast appears
- gradient filters - it is getting worse
- you are losing many details on the picture
- vignetting
- you are loosing sharpness
- can see sometimes flares

Critique and advices - how to use "cheapo" filters is welcome - but please - do not write comments that using cheap filters is worthless. I think it's good - it shows you what this piece of glass can do :D

I really like that image, although there are a couple of distracting marks on it - a smaller circle on the horizon at the left of the frame, and a larger one at the top of the tall ride. Lens flare presumably?

It looks better at the bigger size on Flickr, but the blue is still there. The ND set should be fine for b&w shots though, so don't be too critical of it.

Yiannis - yes the same producer - but I bought a version with ND16 filter. Yes the blue color cast is corrected
Here is a photo in BW also made with help of these filters:

Brighton Pier BW
by Tom Stoff, on Flickr

Well apart from the blue cast, which is a characteristic of these filters, there are several other issues with your shot.
Most obvious and has already been mentioned, is the flare. When using filters, you need to shield them from strong light, they are not coated like your lens, so light hitting them will cause flare.
Next is focus. Not sure if you knocked this when mounting the filters, but the sharpest bit of the shot, is the Brighton Pier sign on the far right edge, the rest seems soft, especially the foreground. This is not an effect of the filters.
Next the blooming you see on the beach in the foreground, is due to it being out of focus, a form of bokeh if you like, nail the focus and these pebbles will be sharp and have more contrast and detail.
When doing long exposures, it is best to cover the viewfinder, to prevent light leaking in. I believe some Nikons have a cover for this, but not sure being a Canon user if your model has this. If not, a small piece of gaffer tape comes in useful for this and is easily taken on and off.
Finally, you have a few spots on your sensor, might be time to get the blower out to give it a bit of a clean, then you could stop the lens down a little further for more depth of field.
Hope some of this will be useful.

Oh a couple of quick comments on the B&W, which seems to be a bit better. Unfortunately you have killed the sky with the post processed grad and it would be worth taking a little time to clone out the birds(?) on the shoreline. Other than that its a nice shot.

Reactions: ST4
Back