bringing out a rainbow

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Im here to ask for some advice. tonight i went into liverpool and while i was shooting around the liver building, a rainbow appeared for just a few moments. I have shot in RAW and was wondering if anyone knew a way to make the rainbow stand out more. I have photoshop elements 11

thanks

I just had a go with the jpg but failed miserably so look forward to hearing if anyone can do anything as to me it looks impossible :(

Can you upload the RAW file so others may try?

Hi all,

Im here to ask for some advice. tonight i went into liverpool and while i was shooting around the liver building, a rainbow appeared for just a few moments. I have shot in RAW and was wondering if anyone knew a way to make the rainbow stand out more. I have photoshop elements 11

thanks

I can't see any trace of a rainbow in that image.

[edit]

I see it now... very faint.

Forget it.. nothing you can do. Good images need good light, and you can't enhance what's not really there.

Last edited:
12050-1434978033-7ea8d8d25f0c0c937de926791191b1c6.jpg

Or cheat. :):runaway::exit:

Rhodese.

Shouldn't it continue past the LIver building?

If you're gonna cheat, do it properly :)

I like the cheat option

You're screwed if you enter it into something that asks to see your raw files though if they have rules about this - which a great deal do.

Shouldn't it continue past the LIver building?

If you're gonna cheat, do it properly :)

You're screwed if you enter it into something that asks to see your raw files though if they have rules about this - which a great deal do.

I was being flippant, it was not intended to be a serious attempt. Hence the smilies. :);)

I was being flippant, it was not intended to be a serious attempt. Hence the smilies. :);)

I know.... just thought it was worth mentioning for the benefit of others.

I must say that I have never been able to enhance a rainbow using a polariser. it's strange that such a simple procedure done by two different people can produce such different results.

If you think about how a polarising filter works then it is not a surprise. If you don't know how it works then you are bound to get unpredictable results!

I have just had a reply from Graham Fleet who is responsible for the website I linked to above. it goes as follows -

"Yes it is possible to enhance a portion of a rainbow relative to the background with a polarising filter, but not the whole bow at once, and as you’ve found you can remove it too. Obviously the bow itself won’t be any brighter than without the filter but the background will be less bright so it does improve the contrast."

(My emphasis)

I rest my case, m'lud.

I have just had a reply from Graham Fleet who is responsible for the website I linked to above. it goes as follows -

"Yes it is possible to enhance a portion of a rainbow relative to the background with a polarising filter, but not the whole bow at once, and as you’ve found you can remove it too. Obviously the bow itself won’t be any brighter than without the filter but the background will be less bright so it does improve the contrast."

(My emphasis)

I rest my case, m'lud.
That's how I understand it. Bear in mind rainbows are a product of refraction not reflection.

Back