Bristol Sycamore

Saw this on the local news yesterday, reporting it being brought back to the Helicopter Museum at Weston-super-Mare ... apparently a very difficult beast to fly. :)

I only saw it was coming in to Weston about 10 minutes after it arrived - damn :( I'm not sure how difficult it would have been to fly compared with others of its day, given how early it stands in the history of helicopters brought into production. A lot of early helicopters suffered major problems with wooden blades, especially in warm, damp climates, but at the time that was the height of technology. How things have changed! I think the length of the tail boom made it 'handle with care' too and certainly in comparison with helicopters of today it just doesn't 'look' right. Short cabin, long main rotor blades, long tail boom and a high mounted tail rotor - it's obvious it had some serious centre of gravity problems. But when you look at some of the other offerings of the time........ it was early days and helicopter design was still shaking down into a basic design that worked, much as fixed wing aircraft did.

Had me confused until I saw the Austrian civil registration, the actual XG545 was lost off the Norfolk coast in 1957. This example was ex West German Air Force.

Great shots of a beautiful machine!

GC

Ace. Looking at these threads, it reminds me how strong the line-up was this year and this was one of the best displays. It sounded fantastic. Excellent set of pics, the last - with the Jet Provost in the background - is my favourite.

Just caught up with this thread.

Brought back memories of my time way back when I was in the Air Cadets. We had a week camp in Kent and we got a visit from the vert last RAF Sycamore in service and was luck to get a 20 minute flight in it. Noisy, shaking like mad and looking well worn - it was brilliant!

This aircraft was the absolute highlight of this years season for me. I had no idea there were any flying, let alone that I would be lucky enough to see one.
Great shots.

Back