Bristol Waterfront at 15mm

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Made an early (for me) start this morning to spend a few hours again with the Irix 15mm f2.4 on my Nikon loan D850.
I love walking around the Bristol Harbourside and my walk this morning coincided with some balloonists making up for the disappointment of the Bristol Balloon Festival wash-out, so I just had to include them in some shots.

Pero's Bridge

Pero's Bridge
by Roger, on Flickr

The Lloyds Bank Building

Lloyds Building
by Roger, on Flickr

The harbourside at Bristol, looks a photographers dream, and you've captured it well. Great set, but I especially like the Lloyds one.

The harbourside at Bristol, looks a photographers dream, and you've captured it well. Great set, but I especially like the Lloyds one.
Thanks Steve, it is a great place to stroll around :)

15mm you've gone wide Roger and to great effect too :)

I havejust bought a 12mm f2 - looks like Imay be visiting that location in the none too distant future

I too love the Lloyds building

Les :)

15mm you've gone wide Roger and to great effect too :)

I havejust bought a 12mm f2 - looks like Imay be visiting that location in the none too distant future

I too love the Lloyds building

Les :)

Thanks Les ... just taking a break from my usual wildlife as there is so much building disruption at Slimbridge and it's not 'bird-busy' at the moment.
It's been really refreshing to try something different and the Irix is a great rectilinear lens ... need plenty more practice but look forward to putting it to good use. :)
Look forward to seeing some shots from your 12mm f2 ... Samyang?

I was planning a trip to Slimbridge this Saturday are you saying it's not worth me doing so it's a 1 hour 30 min drive for me :(

Yes its a Samyang 12mm f2 + I bought a Samyang 50mm f1.4 :) fancy some bokeh type shots

Les

I was planning a trip to Slimbridge this Saturday are you saying it's not worth me doing so it's a 1 hour 30 min drive for me :(
I haven't been for several weeks ... if you know Slimbridge, The Holden Tower has been knocked down and is being rebuilt so the hides past the Robbie Garnett are pretty unproductive, though you can now walk out to the estuary. There are also major works in the main areas where they are building new display/learning areas and this has spawned JCB's HGV's and even low-loaders passing the South Lake & Hogarth Hide areas and many internal paths closed off whilst the works are carried out.
As you can imagine 'camo' has given way to 'hi-viz' everywhere!
I might pop back up tomorrow to see how it's going.

I like the fact that you have included some life in these images, people and, of course, a bird.

That last shot :)

Lovely. How is the lens and filter situation-did you get that resolved ?

Thanks Steve ... yes the lens takes 95mm screw-on filters so I got the Irix ND10 & CPL.
It would obviously take the Lee type square filters but the screw-on seemed more convenient. :)

Thanks Steve ... yes the lens takes 95mm screw-on filters so I got the Irix ND10 & CPL.
It would obviously take the Lee type square filters but the screw-on seemed more convenient. :)

Excellent - handy to know.

CC time. On closer inspection on the lucky locket shot - what happened to the clouds right at the top of the frame - some weird cyan blue - did you apply an infil to some blown parts of sky. Easy solution - crop it say 16:10 or 16:9 and lose it. Or if you took more than one - use that one and lose the woman who's photobombed you :D
'With the Lloyds building - crop wider - you don't need all that sky unless you are selling commercially and the space is needed for copy text. I'd upload that to say Getty/Alamy and display a wider again take with a little less sky for personal use.

Last edited:
CC time. On closer inspection on the lucky locket shot - what happened to the clouds right at the top of the frame - some weird cyan blue - did you apply an infil to some blown parts of sky. Easy solution - crop it say 16:10 or 16:9 and lose it
No infil, trying to remember if I was using the CPL (all handheld) and not using it effectively ... I've not used a polariser seriously but did notice that it wasn't always helpful. I felt the shot had excessive cyan and did try reducing it but I couldn't get it how I felt it should be.
I'm not very happy with my processing of late so I might just be being careless!

Or if you took more than one - use that one and lose the woman who's photobombed you :D
The woman is an essential ingredient ... 'Lucy Locket' :)

No infil, trying to remember if I was using the CPL (all handheld) and not using it effectively ... I've not used a polariser seriously but did notice that it wasn't always helpful. I felt the shot had excessive cyan and did try reducing it but I couldn't get it how I felt it should be.
I'm not very happy with my processing of late so I might just be being careless!

Processing looks ok other than that - it is very odd and looks like something in my processing suite called tint - where you can infill the whitest points with a tint. Handy for sunsets as you can blend in a red to blown areas. It could do with a little less sky anyway so a slighter wider aspect ratio seems the path of least resistance here.

I doubt you'd use a CPL on such a short lens - there is no uneven polarization if you did - which would be a feat in itself. CPLs don't mix with ultra wide lens. Processing actually is nice - maybe a little more contrast than I would go for but not excessively so.

The woman is an essential ingredient ... 'Lucy Locket' :)
If you say...

Last edited:
Processing looks ok other than that - it is very odd and looks like something in my processing suite called tint - where you can infill the whitest points with a tint. Handy for sunsets as you can blend in a red to blown areas. It could do with a little less sky anyway so a slighter wider aspect ratio seems the path of least resistance here.

I doubt you'd use a CPL on such a short lens - there is no uneven polarization if you did - which would be a feat in itself. CPLs don't mix with ultra wide lens. Processing actually is nice - maybe a little more contrast than I would go for but not excessively so.

If you say...

Thanks for the pointers ... appreciated :)
Definitely no tint used and I didn't realise that a polariser was a no-no on a wide angle!

If I'm looking at the same bit of odd sky Steve is - that's a blown bit of cloud producing a processing artifact. I can get that very easily if I adjust the brightness slider one notch too far in cameraRAW lab on my way to the edit module (sorry I use PaintShop but you'll know what I mean), but I can achieve it by other means too. I've just noticed there's another bit further left right at the top. You could crop them both as per Steve's suggestion and not lose anything of the image. Alternatively with the structure of the clouds it'd be a simple job to clone them out. Or revisit the processing from scratch and back off a bit......;)

If I'm looking at the same bit of odd sky Steve is - that's a blown bit of cloud producing a processing artifact. I can get that very easily if I adjust the brightness slider one notch too far in cameraRAW lab on my way to the edit module (sorry I use PaintShop but you'll know what I mean), but I can achieve it by other means too. I've just noticed there's another bit further left right at the top. You could crop them both as per Steve's suggestion and not lose anything of the image. Alternatively with the structure of the clouds it'd be a simple job to clone them out. Or revisit the processing from scratch and back off a bit......;)

Thanks Jan, as above I'm not really happy with my processing skills ATM, but I'm beginning to believe I had the CPL on and it's created issues that I have tried to rectify unsuccessfully. Anyway, a good excuse to get back out there and enjoy the renewed interest the 15mm has given me. :)

Back