British GT Brands Hatch 2020

Edit My Images
No
A few snaps from the British GT practice sessions at Brands Hatch, please be nice, its my first post!!1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.5.jpg4.jpg5.jpg 6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg11.jpg15.jpgaa6.jpg

Whilst I have posted motorsport pictures on other forums I have not had sufficient confidence to post on this forum and congratulate you on your first post!. I do not feel able to critique your photos but I like some of your crops, which would be similar to mine (see below) (y). One of the benefits of photography is that we all have our individual views on what we like and there is space therefore for everyone's taste.

Looking at the location of your photos I can see that for several you have had to shoot through the catch fence and I'm happy to share my "limited" experience. In my opinion shooting through catch fencing means compromises on IQ and I normally try to avoid doing it. Brands used to be my local circuit and I can appreciate that since the increased use of catch fencing and restricted access a few years ago on the GP circuit, opportunities without the fence are now very limited. Others may be able to advise on shooting through catch fencing but my images require more post processing and even then I can't get the same quality as shooting without the dreaded stuff. Recently I have started going to Donington and there's plenty of catch fencing there too so this is something I've only recently been forced to do.

I prefer more "punchy" images than you have but if the light is not good there is only so much you can do in post processing. For my taste I would've tried to adjusted the shadows/highlights, contrast, brightness etc.. I was at Donington in July but it was an overcast day and I attach a before and after of shooting through catch fencing to try and illustrate what I do to adjust the IQ to my taste. Even then I'm not happy with the final output but I'll keep trying and hope to improve my technique through practice.

P1003110.JPGP1003110c.jpg

I was a Donington at the weekend and the light was slightly better than in July, which helped, and possibly my technique is improving, and I'm happier with this image.

P9200024b.jpg

I hope that the above is of some help but if not please ignore it.

Last edited:
@Gray G

Hi and welcome to TP

It has been many years since I photographed Motorsports and overall you have shown a nice set of sharp, in focus and colourful images.

But as a personal opinion and preference I would say.....
They are all too tight in the frame

Motorsport is all about showing the impression of the actual speed observed at the time of the photograph, only a few of the above give any such impression. By that I mean ~ slower shutter speeds & panning yields wheels that don't look static and speed blurred backgrounds.

I look forward to seeing more of your imagery here at TP

PS if you number your images within any post it makes it easier when folk reply to give more granular compliment and feedback ;)

Back