British GT from Brands Hatch

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Hey all,

Here's a few from the GT's at Brands... I think this is the longest I've ever had to spend working the shadow and highlight recovery sliders - I'm gonna come right out and say it, I miss the rain :withstupid: the sun sucks for photography!

C&C welcome as always.... Thanks for looking.

1. Rick Parfitt.... Still too important to ask photographers for permission before ripping off their images (I'm not bitter... much)
#1 Team Parker Racing Ltd - Bentley Continental GT3 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

2. Ryan Ratcliffe... the better human being in the #1 Bentley
#1 Team Parker Racing Ltd - Bentley Continental GT3 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

3. Anna Waleskwa's new AMG ProTechnika team at speed
#89 ProTechnika Motorsport - Mercedes-AMG GT4 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

4. Into the woods....
#116 ERC Sport - Mercedes-AMG GT3 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

5. When at Brands....
#33 Barwell Motorsport - Lamborghini Huracan GT3 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

6. Still using those reflections....

7. Out of the shadows...

8. Another 'cliche' Brands Angle :D
#69 Barwell Motorsport - Lamborghini Huracan GT3 by Jonny Henchman, on Flickr

Really good set- classy camera work, good post production/rendition, powerful images.

Well I'm going to be the awkward one. Don't know if it's because I expect more from you (If I'd taken any of these I'd be more than happy) but this set is a bit mixed for me.

3. Normally like your more creative stuff but this isn't working for me, not sure if it's the wrong part of the car being sharp, the background/forground lacking enough detail/streaking or the colouring/saturation. Guess it's just a taste thing though.
4. I do really like this one!
5. The heat haze makes it.
7. Well obviously you've got this approach perfected...and that car.:)
8. Not sure, it's just lacking something. A bit run of the mill for you?
9. Like the processing but was he parked up for long? ;) (think it's the red flashes on the rims that draw too much attention for me)
10. Like this and the glints on the badge make it. Were they as shot?

Absolutely beautiful man!!! Love the dynamics in the 'skewed' crops, and the reflection in the helmet visor of no.6 - probably my favourite here.

Thanks mate, as I said on Instagram, I really appreciate that.

Really good set- classy camera work, good post production/rendition, powerful images.

Cheers man, glad you like the results

Top stuff as per! both of the ERC Merc shots for me, #4 for the different angle & #7 because its just awesome!

:D Thanks Ben

Very nice indeed and some cracking captures, not to mention lovely machines :)

Thanks Andy

Gorgeous shots as usual, that last one is absolutely spot on.

Cheers mate, Photoshop goes a long way

Well I'm going to be the awkward one. Don't know if it's because I expect more from you (If I'd taken any of these I'd be more than happy) but this set is a bit mixed for me.

3. Normally like your more creative stuff but this isn't working for me, not sure if it's the wrong part of the car being sharp, the background/forground lacking enough detail/streaking or the colouring/saturation. Guess it's just a taste thing though.
4. I do really like this one!
5. The heat haze makes it.
7. Well obviously you've got this approach perfected...and that car.:)
8. Not sure, it's just lacking something. A bit run of the mill for you?
9. Like the processing but was he parked up for long? ;) (think it's the red flashes on the rims that draw too much attention for me)
10. Like this and the glints on the badge make it. Were they as shot?

Hahaha... well first things first, thanks for the honest review :D I don't think you really liked my last set either :D I'm inclined to agree with you really, there wasn't a lot of creativity going on - definitely scope for improvement. That said though, when shooting to a brief sometimes the parked car is what you want and as most people there will be able to attest to is that getting a sharp shot of any kind was pretty tough due to the heat and glare - As I said at the start, I've never had to do so much editing on a set just to get them to look normal :D I'm glad there's some subjective criticism, it'd get very dull otherwise. Thanks for taking the time to give some more detailed feedback, just one question - whats wrong with 1 & 2? :D :D

I don't think you really liked my last set either
Na thought they were pretty good but figured it would be boring if I added yet another post telling you how great you are.:)

That said though, when shooting to a brief
Oh how you've changed...... ok fair point I'll get my coat.

Well my positive comment on 1 involved complementing Parfitt so I decided not to wind you up anymore, 2 was 'ok'.

I'm never 100% sure about giving crit but do it because I appreciate when people crit my stuff, hopefully I get the balance right even if I'm not always right.

Na thought they were pretty good but figured it would be boring if I added yet another post telling you how great you are.:)

Oh how you've changed...... ok fair point I'll get my coat.

Well my positive comment on 1 involved complementing Parfitt so I decided not to wind you up anymore, 2 was 'ok'.

I'm never 100% sure about giving crit but do it because I appreciate when people crit my stuff, hopefully I get the balance right even if I'm not always right.

Hahahaha no totally, it’s very much appreciated... keep doing it [emoji16] As I said I think you’re pretty much spot on. I often get in a bit of a slump... I can pretty much do what I do 90% of the time now but as you alluded to it does get quite samey... the shots are clean but now a bit dull. Hahaha some of this set is especially so because I lifted a few shots for ‘customers’ (the all too familiar non paying type) because I was too lazy to edit more [emoji23]

I was at Brands for the British GT and can confirm it was a scorcher. The light was incredibly strong and throwing large shadows.

Whilst I am happy with some of my shots, they lack clarity in comparison, and also the angles I have are very 'samey'. I guess that's what happens when you are stuck behind a fence in the increasingly limited spots that Brands can offer togs.

Not quite as sharp and 'clear' as your shots and its incredibly tough having to shoot down on the cars all the time
DSC_0929 by Nick Parker, on Flickr

Again shooting down on the cars, and the shadows are quite strong. (I have lifted slightly, but need to lift them more looking at the Bentley in particular). Seems to lack oomph in comparison to your stuff. Testament to the photos you produce.

DSC_0890 by Nick Parker, on Flickr

Last edited:
#2 & #7 are the stand out shots! Impressed with your control of the whites in the sun!

Back