British Minibike Nationals

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
Last week i was working for the Minibike champs at there first meeting of the year the 2018 Nationals, it also saw me using a newly purchased D500 for the first time teamed up with my trusty 70-200 as apposed to my normal D4. Was a mostly bright weekend with a welcome break form the constant rain. Sadly i found the d500 a bit of a disappointment compared to my d4 in terms of focusing especially in duller light and lower contrast scenes resulting in soft images. That said it did produce some decent images in the right conditions and was a very enjoyable weekend..

DSC_1059 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

DSC_0782 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

DSC_1794 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

DSC_1377 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

DSC_2186 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

40133463895_1107cbf7af_o by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

DSC_2268 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi Harry. These seem to lack the usual pop that you normally instill into your shots.

Conditions look amazingly dry!

Im very glad you said that mate as these where all taken with a D500 i had just purchased two days before and i was not been happy with it, today i returned it to Wex and picked up another mint D4 to go with my other D4 i normally use. I was very very very unimpressed with the D500 despite all the glowing reviews. So glad to have another D4 in its place now, it just blows the D500 out of the water :)

Last edited:
Amazed you found the AF lacking in the D500, maybe needed a bit more time to get used to the different AF system, however if what you are used to works then why change ... nice action shots. :)

Amazed you found the AF lacking in the D500, maybe needed a bit more time to get used to the different AF system, however if what you are used to works then why change ... nice action shots. :)

i was also very surprised but i had it 10 days tried every setting over and over and took around 3000 images with it, got some lovely still shots but fast action was very hit and miss for me, it would swing from great to terrible just not constant either way making me think it had problem with the AF module.. The above shots are the better ones, other days when the light was dull and low contrast it really struggled and produced many soft images. I suspect i had a duff body and Wex are going to have it checked. I could have taken another 500 but opted to stick with what i know and love and they had a mint d4 so went with that. Wex where very good by the way, brilliant after sales...

Yep, definitely a noticeable difference imo mate. Your previous shots have all popped out of the screen to me where as these look quite flat.

I seem to remember reading a review comparing the AF of the D750/D810/D4 (which is essentially the same system give or take) and the shooter obtained better results and focus lock with the D4 over the other two.

Did the D4s not tempt you?

Yep, definitely a noticeable difference imo mate. Your previous shots have all popped out of the screen to me where as these look quite flat.

I seem to remember reading a review comparing the AF of the D750/D810/D4 (which is essentially the same system give or take) and the shooter obtained better results and focus lock with the D4 over the other two.

Did the D4s not tempt you?

Th D4's was still quite a lot more money and dont think i would have noticed any really difference to be honest..

Good decision dude. Always good having two bodies that are the same. Settings and familiarity can make the difference between getting the shot and not if you’re faffing around looking for a certain mode or trying stuff out.

Some crackers in there! #4 is the perfect shot for me! Great PoV and blurry background. Great shot!

Back