Britsh Touring car, Knockhill 2018.

Dale.

Bo Derek
Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Yesterday heralded my first attempt at motorsport photography. The last race I went to was the British Grand Prix in 2004 and I wasn't into photography back then. I used to go to the BGP every year but since moving to Scotland, I havent really had the time.

Anyway, I managed to blagg a few tickets for the BTCC at Knockhill and I roped in a mate to come along too for company. It was a wet, miserable day, with no light to play with, so had to make do. We didn't get too wet, as we stood in a covered stand at the hairpin. I'd forgotten how straining to get a view can take its toll and now, 14 years older than my last race and a big bag of camera gear, added to the aches and pains, but it was worth every bit. It did calm down later on and that's when I got into the swing of things, as the crowds cleared towards the end of the day and no more umbrellas in the way.

Like I say, my first attempt at motorsport, but opinions are appreciated as always.(y)

Brett Smith, lighting up the discs as it dried.
tp1.jpg

Jason Plato, my Touring Car hero, but having a mediocre year this year.
tp2.jpg

Rory Butcher, my friend has sponsorship on this car. (hence the tickets;))
tp3.jpg

Tom Chilton, on his way to victory in race 3.
tp4.jpg

One of the Porsche Carreras, the acceleration on these out of the hairpin was mind boggling. The sound, awesome!
tp5.jpg

Last edited:
The Porsche is my pick. Good pov and the composition and spray give a sence of speed. Also like the F4 shot.

The others look reasonmably sharp and punchy on my screen although perhaps a little static. I think 1 and 4 would have benefited from a slower shutter speed and I'd be tempted to tilt 2 and 3 to help with the perception of speed (tilting is a personal taste thing though)

Pretty good for a first attempt (y)

Thank you Mark. (y)

I found shutter speeds with this are quite varied, mostly depending on car speed. I tried panning with reasonable success, I'm still looking at those.

2+3 were the first 2 I processed. It was then I realised the value of tilting, it adds so much more to the images. Later in the day, I was tiliting in camera, it was very much a school day. I'm hoping to go back soon, maybe bikes next time, and hopefully, better weather. :LOL:

Plato shot for me. But then I am a Plato fan lol.

Nice pics, especially in the horrible conditions. You will get to find the best spots for actions at Knockhill with some experimenting. I find the bikes more dynamic to photograph, even though I am not into bikes.

Plato shot for me. But then I am a Plato fan lol.

Plato was a bit of a hero for me back in the day. I’m amazed he’s still racing. I stood at the Subaru cars when they were being prepped for race 2, ironically when Sutton’s car was covered in measuring kit. He went on to win and then get disqualified from race 2 for ride height. I never got to meet Plato, he didn’t show.

Nice pics, especially in the horrible conditions. You will get to find the best spots for actions at Knockhill with some experimenting. I find the bikes more dynamic to photograph, even though I am not into bikes.

It was a rotten day weather wise for sure. I love bikes too and I hope to get to a meeting at Knockhill soon, it’s just over an hour from home

I think the Porsche and the single-seater work best for me, clear stuff coming off the wheels to show motion.

Thanks Mike, I'm looking forward to another trip soon, I think Duffus Dip could be a good spot.

Some good shots for your first time there. Weather was awful and I got thoroughly soaked. Next time you are there try moving around to different parts of the circuit. There's high catch fencing at Duffus looking up the straight, but you can get a shot of them from the rear over the low fencing.

The other popular spots are the at the chicane for panning shots (and the exit if you have a long lens), and the exit of Clarks.

Some good shots for your first time there. Weather was awful and I got thoroughly soaked. Next time you are there try moving around to different parts of the circuit. There's high catch fencing at Duffus looking up the straight, but you can get a shot of them from the rear over the low fencing.

The other popular spots are the at the chicane for panning shots (and the exit if you have a long lens), and the exit of Clarks.

Thanks for the comment and advice John, much appreciated. Might see you next time. ;)

There were 2 'togs halfway along the back straight, right were the rescue/help vehicles were parked on the inside of the track. Weren't one of them were you by any chance? :)

Love the Porsche. I was there on Saturday. Trying to overcome the catch fence on the right hander above Dufffus

Back