Broken Spectre like effect

Tringa

Numpty of the Day'
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
A slight suggestion of a brocken spectre type image from this morning while taking the dog for a walk. The mist was heavier than the photo indicates which has created the rainbow halo effect. Shame the dog did not get one, too.

BS by Dave Marley, on Flickr

Dave

Apparently you can only ever see your own Brocken spectre - presumably because of the way the light is diffracted by the mist. Never seen one on such flat ground!

I think the idea that they only occur in hills and mountains is to do with the angle of the sun.

Other than soon after sunrise the angle of sun projects a shadow on to the ground fairly close to the observer and not on to cloud or mist.

If you are on a hill there is a chance the shadow will be projected onto cloud or mist lower down, so the spectre appears.

This shot was taken about an hour after sunrise so the sun was still fairly low(probably less than 10 degrees above the horizon) so the shadow was cast almost parallel to the ground and ended up hitting the mist.

I didn't know you could only ever see your own spectre, so perhaps the dog did have one too.:)

Dave

You'll have to ask him/her!

Back