Brother & Sister

Name
Christopher
Edit My Images
Yes
Since I've offered critique on quite a few photos on here I thought I'd better post one of my own. I haven't done a lot of photography this year, life has very much got in the way but this is one I did recently.

Brother & Sister.jpg

Love the shot and the sense of connection between them..... I'm on an iPad mate so forgive me but the skin colours look a little strange ( poss my screen though)

Yes you captured a nice moment here. Smiley but what smiles they are :)

Gaz

Looked at it on a calibrated monitor was the ipad...... spot on shot well done mate

That's definitely one to treasure.

Nice work. (y)

Good smiles and expressions caught there.

Was just wondering they're a touch on the bright side but on second looks I don't think so - but did notice a sensor blob on the right hand side :D That's rather picky of me I must admit.

Great shot and love the catchlights.

Thanks you all for all your kind comments. It was very much a spontaneous moment but the lighting was already set up.

A bit of background on the circumstances. I know a couple, not too well, but enough to know that they are genuinely nice people with not a lot, but they will do whatever they can to help others. I found out by accident that they were getting married between Christmas and New Year and that the only photographs they would have would be ones from the guests' mobile phones. I'm not a wedding photographer, anyone who is has my admiration, but given the circumstances I offered to take some photos for them.

As well as taking photos of the wedding I took a couple of my studio lights to the reception and set them up in a smallish space at the back of the room, taking some photos of any of the guests who wanted them. Their mother, the wife of the best man, brought these two over as the girl wanted a photo of her and her brother and just as I was ready to press the shutter she moved, put her arm around him and her face next to his and I got this image.

That's a nice family shot for the album.

Looking at it with a critical eye I'd say focus is off. The plane of focus seems to be on the lads coat collar.
rather than their faces, resulting in the eyes being noticeably soft.

I'd also say that the pattern of the background is slightly distracting. I'd have increased their distance from it and tried to throw it out more.

That's a nice family shot for the album.

Looking at it with a critical eye I'd say focus is off. The plane of focus seems to be on the lads coat collar.
rather than their faces, resulting in the eyes being noticeably soft.

I'd also say that the pattern of the background is slightly distracting. I'd have increased their distance from it and tried to throw it out more.

Hi John,

Apologies for the delayed reply to your post, I was away over the weekend and saw it on my phone but then forgot to reply to it. I've checked it on my original image and yes the focus is very slightly off, but when looking at the full size image the girl's eyelashes are also sharp. presumably covered by the lens' dof. I think that the main reason for the exaggerated look of unsharpness is that I had to reduce the image size quite considerably, as the system kept telling me that the image was too large to be uploaded.

You are also right about the fact that it would have been better if the background had been further away, but, as I said in my second post, the girl suddenly put her arm around her brother and I had to 'take it or miss it.'

It turned out to be a case of all's well that ends well as the parents really liked the very slight soft focus look. :)

Back