Brotherly love practise shoot

Name
Graeme
Edit My Images
Yes
I recently had the chance to practise some portraits of a friend's boys. Practising as often as I can and hopefully making some progress.

As always, any advice - no matter how brutal - welcome.

Lighting was my single Canon 580exII into a reflective umbrella.

Brothers by Graeme, on Flickr

Lovely natural poses - I think a darker BG ( say Pale or Mid Grey) would better suit, with white trousers in No1 and the White suits in No3

I do love No2 though

Les

Hi Graeme,

They all look good, nice lighting and sharp. Any reason why the background looks a bit blue, is this something you wanted?

I still cannot get both people sharp when shooting two people together, you have done well using F5. Any hints?

Thank you

Kev

Lovely natural poses - I think a darker BG ( say Pale or Mid Grey) would better suit, with white trousers in No1 and the White suits in No3

I do love No2 though

Les

Thanks Les - absolutely agree about the BG. They were lovely boys to work with - a real credit to their family.

Hi Graeme,

They all look good, nice lighting and sharp. Any reason why the background looks a bit blue, is this something you wanted?

I still cannot get both people sharp when shooting two people together, you have done well using F5. Any hints?

Thank you

Kev

Hi Kev,

Thank you. The blue tint resulted from a preset I used in LR. Unfortunately I think the sharpness of the two at F5 is more by luck than design. Only thing I can possibly think of is that they're both on the same focal plane but that's purely speculation. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks,
Graeme

You've done really well with a single light.
I'd prefer the first with a longer focal length but I imagine you were space-limited?
Thanks Simon. Would have preferred a longer focal length too but you're right, space was limited - this was setup in one of the rooms in their parents' house.

That second shot is a bit special.
I can see the parents putting that on the wall pretty smartish.

That second shot is a bit special.
I can see the parents putting that on the wall pretty smartish.
Thanks Viv - that's one of my faves too.

Back