Brown Bear @ YWP - Sad News!

Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
Today was the first public viewing of the 4 Ussuri Brown Bears rescued from Japan. A brand new Rehabilitation Centre and Enclosure has been constructed to house them, and I was delighted to get my first shots as the Park opened this morning. Here is one enjoying his new playground:

_MG_8401.JPG

_MG_8289.JPG

_MG_8339.JPG

_MG_8236.JPG

_MG_8256.JPG

Fantastic!

Russ

A really good outcome, such a shame they were in such poor conditions before ... seems happy now though. :)

A really good outcome, such a shame they were in such poor conditions before ... seems happy now though. :)
- Cheers Roger :)
- this is the first one brave enough to explore his new surrounding - and he seems very much at home here after those dreadful conditions at the zoo in Japan. Am looking forward to seeing the others in due course.

Russ

Beautiful - thanks for posting. We won't be able to visit for a while so it is nice to see how they are doing :)

Awww they are lovely, thank you for posting pictures of them, looks like they are settling well after the horrific life they had :)

looks like a cracking enclosure, well captured Russ (y)

looks like a cracking enclosure, well captured Russ (y)

- Cheers, Chris :)
- great enclosure (as one would expect at YWP), with elevated viewing areas allowing clutter-free photography over the necessary fencing!

Russ

I believe it is only the holding / rehab enclosure while their permanent one is being built too :)

Looks like YWP have come up with another great relocation. :)
He looks to be having a lot of fun.

I believe it is only the holding / rehab enclosure while their permanent one is being built too :)
- I am not sure whether a second or enlarged enclosure is planned Fi, but the new enclosure being used by the two younger bears at present is very large and well equipped :)

Russ

Looks like YWP have come up with another great relocation. He looks to be having a lot of fun.
- to be sure, and I look forward to seeing the others out and about in their new home :)
Nice one Russ. I think i will have to make a visit.
- Thanks John - a visit is a must my friend, and even better now the Brown Bears are there :)

Russ

- I am not sure whether a second or enlarged enclosure is planned Fi, but the new enclosure being used by the two younger bears at present is very large and well equipped :)

Russ

I think they are planning on building an enclosure in the trees between the Painted/Hunting dogs and the Lemur exhibit. Think they were having planning issues though. I think the enclosure they are currently in was built just incase they had to rescue any female Polar bears as they cant be housed anywhere near the male bears or would end up with the males fighting because of dominance issues. I stand to be corrected but haven't been for a while as was getting a bit same old and let my yearly membership expire.:(

I think they are planning on building an enclosure in the trees between the Painted/Hunting dogs and the Lemur exhibit. Think they were having planning issues though. I think the enclosure they are currently in was built just incase they had to rescue any female Polar bears as they cant be housed anywhere near the male bears or would end up with the males fighting because of dominance issues. I stand to be corrected but haven't been for a while as was getting a bit same old and let my yearly membership expire.:(
- Thanks for that, Robin - seems likely from what you say. Be interesting to see how it all pans out if/when the large extension across to Hurst Lane is completed :)

Russ

- Thanks for that, Robin - seems likely from what you say. Be interesting to see how it all pans out if/when the large extension across to Hurst Lane is completed :)

Russ

Might get some answers from the TV series on Channel 5 next week

The series will be broadcast from the Park at 8pm Monday to Friday from 20th August.

This five part series will follow the story of the bears in greater detail and will also show other zoos from across the UK, including Edinburgh and Jersey.

Sad News: YWP have reported that the 27yr old male Amu has died. Apparently he was in worse physical condition with heart and arthritis complications than the vets appreciated. A sad loss for everyone.
On a happier note, the two 17 year old males are settling in very well together:

_MG_0146.JPG

_MG_0155.JPG

Russ

Sad news but at least he had a bit of a decent time before he went. :)

Sad news indeed Russ, but on the positive side 27 is a great age, and he had a comfortable "end"

So sad that he died before he had a chance to experience the freedom they now have compared to their old life.
Great to see the other 2 having such fun together :D

Back