Brown Hares

Cool fella looks like some of the one's we see nice little set ...

Martin do you see much variation in eye colour?

They are just excellent.

The third one is just screaming out for a caption along the lines of "S**t, do these leaves belong to you?!!!!!":LOL:

Martin,according to the UK mamal society hares eyes are chestnut brown and get paler with age..................................So i'd guess what we are looking at in your lovely pictures above is an older hare?? At my little spot I see leverets with pale green(ish) eyes adults darker but also adults with very very pale eyes . i'm trying to work out what exactly I'm seeing , obviously i'm also curious as to what others that take a few hare pics see as well ..................................that's the reason for the question mate.

I think i'm seeing some form of gene pool plausibly resessive maybe brought about by a condensed population that is interbreeding and hence showing some odd traits like eye colour. None of this is based on science,just me seeing and musing,

I'd love to know what you see mate thanks for having a dig for me

cheers

Smashing set, differing views and angles. I think the angle of light and of course type of light hitting the eye changes the appearance quite dramatically

Paul

Martin,according to the UK mamal society hares eyes are chestnut brown and get paler with age..................................So i'd guess what we are looking at in your lovely pictures above is an older hare?? At my little spot I see leverets with pale green(ish) eyes adults darker but also adults with very very pale eyes . i'm trying to work out what exactly I'm seeing , obviously i'm also curious as to what others that take a few hare pics see as well ..................................that's the reason for the question mate.

I think i'm seeing some form of gene pool plausibly resessive maybe brought about by a condensed population that is interbreeding and hence showing some odd traits like eye colour. None of this is based on science,just me seeing and musing,

I'd love to know what you see mate thanks for having a dig for me

cheers
These were three different Hares here the first two pics are the same one. A Leveret for comparison

Easter leveret
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Not sure how old but the greenest I could find

Hare (Lepus timidus)

These were three different Hares here the first two pics are the same one. A Leveret for comparison

Easter leveret

Not sure how old but the greenest I could find

Hare (Lepus timidus)

Thats kind mate thanks very much indeed. Martin I think you are the first to show me something similar to what we are seeing,in our local population. I sort of think as the leveret above as the classic baby hare eye colour and with time fading to your first image/s posted in this thread,well the first hare of the 3. I take on board Paul's note about how much the light effects "our" perception of colour ,but I genuinely think there is more going on than just the effect of light in these hares eyes. My initial theory was simply that the green ISH eyes were maybe the oldest hares and the yellow of your top frame fades to that,but that leveret I nicknamed Jade undid that one .

Fascinating Martin lovely images , to into the bargain............... double thanks !! Martin the frame above this writing says L timidus...that is an error isn't it ?

cheers

Back