Brownsea Island Reds.....

I never tire of enjoying seeing the Reds, so thanks for sharing :)

PS the last one is cuteness personified :jaffa:

Cheers, Red are indeed a real joy to watch, especially as upclose as these guys get.

Cheers, Red are indeed a real joy to watch, especially as upclose as these guys get.

Yes, they are bold and can be very close (a lot of the time.................especially when bribed with few hazlenuts), when you say the usual place ~ on the mound?

Up behind the Church - Ive never yet sat for more than 20 minutes without being accosted by a Red.....

That is a gret spot to sit and put down a few Hazel nuts - one tip I can pass on is this, take some Bird seed and scatter it around well away from where you sit, this will
keep the Peacock's busy - failing that they home in on Photographers sitting in the wood and steal the nuts intended for the Red's

Les :)

Mark cheers for posting this , as Laurence says always cool seeing our native reds,I'll never tire of seeing images posted of them It's place I'd love to visit one day so the following convo is cool with all the little nuggets of wisdom from you guys ...keep going lads..... don't let me butt in:D

stu

Mark cheers for posting this , as Laurence says always cool seeing our native reds,I'll never tire of seeing images posted of them It's place I'd love to visit one day so the following convo is cool with all the little nuggets of wisdom from you guys ...keep going lads..... don't let me butt in:D

stu

Stu

I can't recall whether you have ever said where in the UK you are but there are Reds in Yorkshire and Cumbria...............so would think you might be within a couple of hours drive of a suitable location........................so go on, sling yer 'ook and find some of your own Reds to share with the rest of us ;):giggle:

I will shortly Laurence,i'm hoping to pretty soon..... smack bang in the middle is where we are. Say about 3/4 hr saff of Brum....... Vale of Evesham foot of the Cotswolds

I'm grafting like a moron at the mo ,but we have recently got a little camper ,ha so the UK is my oyster:LOL:. Brownsea will be easy soon buddy i've just got to sort my ruddy bed so I get a decent night's sleep The insanity at work should let up soon bro and then i'll nab a break that's why I commented I hope we might go in a few weeks....................... that is
if I survive june in new build it's hell !! . More to recce first on a first trip ,nice to have a load of tips though(y) I'd like a crack at them earlier in the year really Laurence winter coat no leaves on trees might make for better photo ops .

Ha buddy you make me. smile . sling yer hook:LOL: Mate we have never seen anything of the world bar here and the southwest and a bit of wales . We are not traveled no passports my images are all made within an hour of home ,which is cool I'm not moaning I have so much to go at I can't cope.;)

We've never really been able to afford holidays ( oh , I best apologise to Mark again for wafflin' :rolleyes:) so it's a pretty exciting time for us as you might imagine :cool:

cheers

Hi Stu (and apologies to Mark @Hertsman for this slight diversion)

Best of luck with getting all the (boring) but necessary daily grind stuff sorted.

When you get yourself down to Brownsea for the Reds (KIV the island is a NT property and only AFAIK open March to October), from my limited infrequent visits in regard to other wildlife places have a look at RSPB Arne and though sightings in general can be limited the NT Hide at Middlebere is worth a visit. NB I suggest you bookmark this https://www.birdsofpooleharbour.co.uk/sightings they also run special boat trips ~ I was never there on the right days to book one :(

If you really want to get up close & personal with a Red the BWC (British Wildlife Centre) in Lingfield in Surrey is worth a visit....................some of the little darlings are so cheeky they will climb on you to look in your pockets for food.

This one a slight crop (for a greetings card I am making) taken a few years ago:-

RedSquirrel-800web.jpg

Last edited:
Some lovely shots Mark, I wish the island was closer to me, I'd love to visit.
[…] there are Reds in Yorkshire and Cumbria.......
I spend a lot of my spare time in Yorkshire, and know about Snaizeholme. Are there are other good areas in the dales area that I should consider visiting?

Some lovely shots Mark, I wish the island was closer to me, I'd love to visit.

I spend a lot of my spare time in Yorkshire, and know about Snaizeholme. Are there are other good areas in the dales area that I should consider visiting?

I am sorry I can't name the places other than that I have heard of them.......and a little like you and Brownsea..... Yorkshire and Lakes a bit far :(

Is Snaizeholme the one where there are both hides and places where they free run around you? I recall some great 'action' pictures with them leaping along a log towards the camera???

I am sorry I can't name the places other than that I have heard of them.......and a little like you and Brownsea..... Yorkshire and Lakes a bit far :(

Is Snaizeholme the one where there are both hides and places where they free run around you? I recall some great 'action' pictures with them leaping along a log towards the camera???
Ah well, was worth asking just in case :)
Snaizeholme is just a few miles south of Hawes and parking is next to a farm house, then a short walk down to the valley floor. I didn't notice a hide but there are a few viewpoints and official feeders, one of which has a lovely framework in front of it that they scamper along. I thought I'd posted a thread after my recent visit but I cant find it so mustn't have.

Back