Brutal Architecture - an Open Thread

Hi, the Catholic Church in Schwelm/D, built in 1968. The tower was a major engineering achievement at the time. The concrete was poured with the concrete formwork gradually moving up:

L1002422_DxO-z18-8-c.jpg

Hi, the Catholic Church in Schwelm/D, built in 1968. The tower was a major engineering achievement at the time. The concrete was poured with the concrete formwork gradually moving up:

View attachment 291092
You could have asked me all day and I wouldn't have guessed that was a church! :oops: :$ Even with the crosses on the flags. :LOL:

You could have asked me all day and I wouldn't have guessed that was a church! :oops: :$ Even with the crosses on the flags. :LOL:

Hi, guessing that it is a church was not too difficult to guess for many, I suppose. - But guessing that it is a Catholic church might have been more difficult.
(There is also a Protestant Church in Schwelm.) And this is why I gave this information ... --- :)

Hi, here one can clearly see that it is a church tower :

L1002416_DxO-z18-c.jpg

There was not much space and I had an 18mm lens mounted. I should have brought a 15mm or a 12mm ... ---

Kingsway tunnel East end ventilation building. A classic bit of brutalist architecture from 1971.

p3972949375-6.jpg

p3972949379-6.jpg

Warsaw palace of science and culture a present from the USSR the people say the only good view is from its observation deck (because you cannot see it)

Warsaw Palace of Culture and Science 3 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Warsaw Skyline at night by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Warsaw skyline in the morning 4 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Warsaw Palace of Culture and Science 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Warsaw Palace of Culture and Science 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
266009.jpg Abandoned and (obviously) derelict old stately home in Blue Mountains, Australia

Not sure if this qualifies for brutal architecture but these houses or flats are in Camden behind Chalk Farm Road.

Last edited:
Back