Bryn Eithin - Blaenau Ffestiniog

first one doesn't do it for me, the clouds look a bit digital as well, some overly strong clarity or something going on there making them look a bit strained and artificial.

Second one is much more pleasant to look at for me. I like the light, the double rainbow and the foreground subject. the clouds look a little over processed though again. Is that rain teeming down from them? The mood is great. I think you could crop some off the top and uncrop some room at the bottom but very nice anyway.

first one doesn't do it for me, the clouds look a bit digital as well, some overly strong clarity or something going on there making them look a bit strained and artificial.

Second one is much more pleasant to look at for me. I like the light, the double rainbow and the foreground subject. the clouds look a little over processed though again. Is that rain teeming down from them? The mood is great. I think you could crop some off the top and uncrop some room at the bottom but very nice anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. They are both from one file. I used the grad in raw to make the sky a tad darker and added texture and then viezza filter on both. It was when adding the grad that the various layers in the clouds started to appear. It was also pouring with rain at the time,very strange conditions.

Edit...just had another look at the original RAW files with all sliders set to zero. The sky was odd so adding the grad enhanced the effect ;-)

Last edited:
That second shot is great Rory

Good lord get these into LPOTY that second shots a level above excellent
Told you I would get a Dear John ;-)....."On this occasion we can confirm your image(s) have not been short listed. We know you will be disappointed by this news, however please know that the decision was not an easy one for our judges. Please note that due to the high number of images submitted this year, we are unable to give individual feedback on any photographs entered."

Agree the 2nd photo is stunning. I like the composure and atmosphere.

I know you've already detailed the clouds but they do look very strange especially in the first picture. A long time ago I used to play with Nik Colour Efex and the Detail Extractor, it does look a bit like that. If you have used effects it would be worth toning them down a bit while keeping the drama. Otherwise I think these are both fine shots but are a bit tightly framed especially at the bottom. Both look a bit soft too but it's hard to properly tell at the size posted on Flickr. Great atmosphere though, what conditions to be out in

The seemingly posterization in the sky spoils the first one for me but the 2nd is fab.

Back