BSB Donington (Race Day)

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

First day of the 2015 photographic season for me on Monday and first time shooting Donington

AND IT SUCKED!

I walked the whole circuit and it's great for spectators, nice elevation changes, decent scenery and good racing.... but for my style of photography, it was absolutely terrible, made even worse by some of the harshest light I've ever encountered. I know a lot of people complain about Silverstone, but for me this place is the least tog friendly circuit I've done so far... I imagine folks with 600mm+ lenses (seemed to be a lot of you ;)) and trackside folk have a few more opportunities but I just seemed miles too far away at every corner with the sun in a decent position. The only locations that had any sort of potential for me were exit of Melbourne (ruined by sun all day, didn't really want the runway shot), inside Redgate (too far, not the best angle) and just after Starky's bridge (Guess and press, but a decent angle when it occasionally worked).

So just for the sake of continuity, here's my first set of the year... a great example of how light and location limitations can ruin images.

Criticism expected :)

1. Blown
1 by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

2. Clipped Shadows
8 by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

3. Blurred
3 by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

4.Noise
7 by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

5. Contrast
4 by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

6. Clipped Shadows & Highlights
6 by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

7. Did I mention it was a little contrasty
5 by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

8. At least someone enjoyed themselves
2 by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

OH.... and I got sunburned!!!!!!!

Grumpy rant over, writing this one off... bring on the WEC

Well, despite your issues and having a grumpy rant :D, I think you've done well and there are some great slow panning shots. 7 is a little over contrasty for me.

Donnington used to be much better than it is now, never used to have all the catch facing it has now and you could stand close to the track on the inside (opposite the buildings up from the pits) and get great views. I wish they'd revert some of the track back to what it used to be like...

Shame you had a disappointing day Jonny, don't think these are as bad as you say, sharpness and composition is there. Did you try anything at Foggy Esses ? I was there for the first time for testing a couple of weeks ago, sun was out in the afternoon, but was manageable there.

Well, despite your issues and having a grumpy rant :D, I think you've done well and there are some great slow panning shots. 7 is a little over contrasty for me.

Donnington used to be much better than it is now, never used to have all the catch facing it has now and you could stand close to the track on the inside (opposite the buildings up from the pits) and get great views. I wish they'd revert some of the track back to what it used to be like...

:) thanks.. I guess down to all the potential events it was supposed to get, I feel a bit sorry for them being everyone's bargaining chip.

Shame you had a disappointing day Jonny, don't think these are as bad as you say, sharpness and composition is there. Did you try anything at Foggy Esses ? I was there for the first time for testing a couple of weeks ago, sun was out in the afternoon, but was manageable there.

It was very ropey :( the Esses looked ok but I didn't have the length to get a good angle on the way in and the exit left the rider hiding behind the bike. Again the sun would have killed it in the morning and by the afternoon it was heaving... I think a long lens at that point would work well, my TC and AF refused to play together in the glare :(

For my humble contribution i think you are being hyper critical of your own work. These are technically great shots. Yes there is the odd blown specular highlight , something I find almost impossible to avoid, particularly on a day like Monday was and yes the subject in 3 is a little less than sharp but in such a great set, who cares! Now if you want to see ropy have a look at the set I'm about to post. My excuse is I travelled on my bike and for that reason only took my 2nd body and I don't have a long prime. Currently I'm doing bikes for pleasure, not for profit. Would be great to change that but prospects are fairly slim here in NI.

I think your being way to hard on yourself Jonny, you have to work with what you have on the day, sun, fences, glare, almost white reflective gravel traps and fellow spectators all get in the way of a great shot, but apart from 7 which I agree is a little too saturated for me you've done a cracking job.

Paul.

For my humble contribution i think you are being hyper critical of your own work. These are technically great shots. Yes there is the odd blown specular highlight , something I find almost impossible to avoid, particularly on a day like Monday was and yes the subject in 3 is a little less than sharp but in such a great set, who cares! Now if you want to see ropy have a look at the set I'm about to post. My excuse is I travelled on my bike and for that reason only took my 2nd body and I don't have a long prime. Currently I'm doing bikes for pleasure, not for profit. Would be great to change that but prospects are fairly slim here in NI.

Thanks for the positive comments, you might be right but I cant help feeling bitterly disappointed with the results :(

I think your being way to hard on yourself Jonny, you have to work with what you have on the day, sun, fences, glare, almost white reflective gravel traps and fellow spectators all get in the way of a great shot, but apart from 7 which I agree is a little too saturated for me you've done a cracking job.

Paul.

Cheers Paul, I was frustrated by pretty much everything on this occasion. Like I say hopefully back on form for the WEC :D

As above way to harsh on yourself the conditions do look difficult harsh sun and not the best access but these are still good shots I to struggle in bright sunlight as do a lot of togs the heat haze coming off the track does not help the only time I really like shooting on these sort of days is early morning and late afternoon looking forward to your WEC shots next week was thinking of going but not a fan of the parking at Silverstone I hate door dings have a good one

I think these a great, being critical of your photos is a good way to improve, but recognise that conditions, light, fencing etc will always affect your photos..I am never happy with my own photos and can find fault in most, if not all of them.
The best thing to do is just move on to the next event..once the day is done thats it.

Its good to be critical with your own images and I admire your criticalness on these.
Not been to Donington for years and might think twice about taking my camera when I next venture north !!
(y) for # 6......that's a cracking shot.
Will be taking my new 5D3 to WEC for its first outing,so will be keeping an eye out :)

Clive.

They look good to me too Jon, I would be happy with those....oh and I'm another who is coming up to Silverstone on Sunday, for me the first time armed with my camera :eek:.

I really like the images of Buchan...shakey and Ellison...brilliant

You make the best of what you get given either public side or media side in all honesty and i have yet to find a motorsport photographer that has the power to control the weather LOL.

You shoot with what you have and make the best of its strengths and this you most certainly have done.

Back