BTCC Croft

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Explain to me please why fast cars seem to always have to be portrayed as travelling at unrealistic angles?

Explain to me please why fast cars seem to always have to be portrayed as travelling at unrealistic angles?

Because art is subjective - great critique!

Shots look good to me mate, a few too many to go through individually. Some pans work better than others (i.e missed critical sharpness on a few). 17 is a non shot for me, 10 is pretty great [emoji16] for me it'd be nice to see a little more variation in style for the track shots, pans are great but a whole set of them can get a bit samey, just my two cents.

Some of those are corkers, love them! Went to Oulton Park for the last round with a mate of mine and I'm no motorsport snapper but I can see the attraction, great looking shots! (y)

A leading question which I believe you already have an answer for [emoji846]
You are wrong but it doesn't matter you obviously have your own agenda and I don't need to justify my question of the o/p to you. :)

Enjoyed looking at these Mark, my favourites are #10, like the bunching of the Ginettas in the background and the blur of the foreground car and #14, car pops nicely. Not big fan of #8 & #17.

13, 14 and 15 were the best for me, gramps' question remains to be answered though!

All car photos don't have to be at an angle, just as all landscape photos don't need straight horizons?... its a matter of personal choice.
Just as some photographers think all car photos should be at least 1/15 when panning or its not a good shot. I always think a mix of different types of images is more interesting to view than the same shot redone over and over.

Excellent set of images Mark, and as I've said elsewhere, you always find something original at Croft (#10) which is no mean feat.

As for @gramps question, I tilt the camera for a number of reasons. It's mainly compositional, but I also find it can add additional dynamicism to the image. It can also help you shot around various obstacles when shooting from spectator land. Horses for courses, and no right or wrong way :).

Simon.

Last edited:
Reactions: TMT
All car photos don't have to be at an angle, just as all landscape photos don't need straight horizons?... its a matter of personal choice.
Just as some photographers think all car photos should be at least 1/15 when panning or its not a good shot. I always think a mix of different types of images is more interesting to view than the same shot redone over and over.

Thank you for responding :)
I don't do motor sport but when I do look at this section I can almost guarantee that the majority of images will have cars racing at false angles ... so it does seem to be 'the norm', which puzzles me.
Of landscape photography, images without a straight horizon would, I suggest, be a rarity rather than 'the norm'.
I entirely agree that each photographer can treat an image in any way that appeals to him or her but I wondered why this apparent 'norm' is the case with motor sport. :)

As for @gramps question, I tilt the camera for a number of reasons. It's mainly compositional, but I also find it can add additional dynamicism to the image. It can also help you shot around various obstacles when shooting from spectator land. Horses for courses, and no right or wrong way :).

Simon.

Helpful, thank you Simon :)

thanks all,

As for my wonky angles, its just what I like and I find the norm boring, I know some like it and I know some don't though...
Excellent set of images Mark, and as I've said elsewhere, you always find something original at Croft (#10) which is no mean feat.

Simon.
thanks again Simon, always trying to find new angles etc as you know

Enjoyed looking at these. A few observations:

#2 - looks too soft to be a keeper in my eyes and the subject doesn't really pop as with some of your other similarly framed pans

#3/4 - 4 works, 3 doesn't in my view. I think the framing is a bit too extreme in 3. 4 is a cleaner and more vibrant shot.

#7 - I get why you'd want to keep this, exceptional panning, however the foreground is way too fussy for me with the marshal hut/structure breaking up the overall impact

#10 - Brilliant. Love it.

#17 - Don't get it!

All of the above is very picky, I wouldn't normally comment in detail but I love the effort and variety. On a general note the processing seems to be all over the place, #12, 13 and 14 are good examples. 12 is very flat where as 13 and 14 are spot on.

Nice pictures, Sunday was a far better day for shooting although the damp/wet track can give some interesting spray patterns, need to have another look at mine check if the any worth showing, haven't posted anything here in a long time.

1, 2, 10 + 12 would have been junked if I were processing them. Too soft to keep.

3, 4 Much better, with 4 being the pick of the two,

5 Fantastic shot. Love it. How did you get Turks looking not moody???

6 A well executed shot, but not really my thing. It takes a particular car in a particular light at a particular type of circuit for me to try that sort of shot and Touring Cars are not it for me, but different strokes etc. You pulled it off.

7 The car is lost because the foreground clutter drags the eye away. Otherwise, cracking effort.

8 Like the lens flare, not so sure on the composition, it just looks incomplete to me somehow but I cant put my finger on it.

9 Love it.

11 Might look better in colour but in B&W its just dull. Sorry.

13 Good shot, nice composition, great colours,.

14 Same again but this one is my pick of the two, maybe because I prefer the BMW to the Ford, it could just be my prejudice.

15 OK. Good shot, but having one portrait shot in a full gallery of Landscape oriented images is a little bit jarring to the eye in my opinion.

16 Good shot but if you had moved slightly the R in MCR would have been clear of the tyre and had a bit of an exclusion zone around it. I think that would have been better, but again, personal taste.

17 A great setup, the lines of the trailer lead beautifully to where something, anything, anyone just something please, should be. The ideal background for a pop-colour driver portrait in my mind.

18 Wow, yoda got some sun! A nice jokey shot to round out the set. I like it.

Thank you for responding :)
I don't do motor sport but when I do look at this section I can almost guarantee that the majority of images will have cars racing at false angles ... so it does seem to be 'the norm', which puzzles me.
Of landscape photography, images without a straight horizon would, I suggest, be a rarity rather than 'the norm'.
I entirely agree that each photographer can treat an image in any way that appeals to him or her but I wondered why this apparent 'norm' is the case with motor sport. :)

When you are trying to fill the frame with a car, unless you are dead head on, or dead on the back end, you get a lot of empty space around the car if you shoot a flat landscape image. If you angle the car from corner to corner, you reduce the amount of boring and fill the frame with interesting car. On more wide angle shots its often about getting the relevant lines in the shot out of the frame at or near the corners because the image then looks more finished and more dynamic. You are right, it wouldn't look right on a landscape shot, because landscapes don't need to look like they are doing 100mph even when they are standing still, racecars do.

Great pics

Back