BTCC Race Day !

Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon All,

Please see few chosen shots from circa 370 that I took during the day ... all I have done is crop and uploaded.

This is the first time shooting faster moving targets so as much feedback as possible is always welcome, I can see they are far from perfect looking at the really nice shots from @smr

IMG_1016 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_0981 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_0939 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_0966 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_0968 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_0972 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_0626 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

IMG_0734 by Tom Macintosh, on Flickr

Hi Tom,

Have some of these been quite heavily cropped in?

You will notice a big difference in sharpness between the first two and the third picture for example? If not, it might be the case that the lens is struggling to focus fast enough?
Also you will see the third photo has a slower shutter speed than the first two as the car displays more movement (look at the wheels for example) and the background has a bit more blur. It is a nice shot.

Donnington isn't an easy circuit to shoot, especially with erratic BTCC cars!

Last edited:
Hi Tom,

Have some of these been quite heavily cropped in?

You will notice a big difference in sharpness between the first two and the third picture for example? If not, it might be the case that the lens is struggling to focus fast enough?
Also you will see the third photo has a slower shutter speed than the first two as the car displays more movement (look at the wheels for example) and the background has a bit more blur. It is a nice shot.

Donnington isn't an easy circuit to shoot, especially with erratic BTCC cars!

Yes Nick, cropped them all apart from the last 2 on the 2nd post (some its only a little some are lot) a few people suggested it on previous posts and I've noticed a lot do on here do.

Is there a maximum ? didn't know it changed the image tbh... any advice going forward?

As for the shutter speeds, that was the main part of the day I only really changed location and shutters (iso was on auto) and I was using a mode I've never used before. (look at the Rocky or Donny thread in the motorsport section).

I'll try and break this down shot by shot. Please don't take anything harshly, I learned absolutely loads on this forum when I first started out by people being honest with me. I'd like to think you can see a progression in my photography if you go and look at some of my threads from years ago.

1 & 2 - There's a little bit of camera shake on these by the look of it. Everyone gets this when doing panning shots so nothing to worry about, just take loads of photos and work on your technique and you'll get better

3 - Looks spot on, nothing wrong with it at all

4 & 5 Ruined by the speakers for me but I can see what you were going for, and you've captured some good action there.

6 - 13 Nothing wrong with any of them, and again some good action captured

14 & 15 Nice paddock shots, maybe try using a larger aperture to get a bit more depth of field but the composition is good

16 - Same as 4 &5 the speakers distract from the focal point

As I say please don't think I'm being harsh as these are great shots and you've obviously got good panning technique. With practice you can start using slower shutter speeds and getting more creative. Don't be afraid of a little blur to show movement (see photos 7 & 8 in my British GT Rockingham thread)

Decent first go at this Tom, practice plenty and results will improve. Some of the shots are similar, be your own critic and post the ones you think are your best. #3 is a good pan.

Some solid looking shots, late to the party I know but I'm slightly jealous of the Jack Goff cool down lap one, I was the wrong side of the car. Damn the RHD Honda! I got a similar shot of Aiden Moffatt for his maiden win last year but down the Craners, makes for a decent shot that carries a lot of emotional weight

I think you could make these a bit more dynamic by tilting the camera a bit. You'll be amazed what a difference it makes when you try it!

Back