Critique Buachaille Etive Mor: Round the Back

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been spending a lot of evenings down at the Torren Lochan and up here at Lagangarbh. Normally I shoot the cottage and the reflection of the Buachaille in a still water pool. Indeed I did this as I have done many times before a couple of weeks back.

_DSC0314 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

However with the bank holiday and the cottage being in use I thought I would go further upstream. I've shot here before in August 2015. Don't know why I didn't last year. I go to the same places over and over again. I like it, its comforting. Anyway the weathers been great, tapps aff and I doubt the people who hired the cottage would find a bare chested pasty skinned bearded fella with a big camera shooting in their direction a comfort so I moved up stream to here.

The clouds were epic and as was the light. Reflections are what I really like and the winds were calm enough to keep the water pool reasonably still.

_DSC0400 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Two days later I found myself taking the same image over again, but the light and sky was different.

_DSC0498 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Heh - I prefer the sky in #1, the light in #3, but the reflection in #2. With the stronger light, the reflection is more pronounced. Also, your choice of composition in #1 works best for me mainly because of the house. This adds a storytelling element that makes me look at the image longer than the other two.

Beautiful location.

I can see you what you mean about the stronger colours re 2 vs 3 but that sky in 3 I just love. The cottage is a great spot but a bare chested fella poking a camera at it isn't the best move when it is in use.

I love Glencoe, so much to see, shoot and explore - plus it is really handy to get to for me.

I believe I commented on these on flickr, so I will say something different now that I have noticed it here. The house shot is lovely of course, but what works well in the composition of the other shot further upstream is the balance of the composition left to right, the diagonal bank of the river coming in from the left to point to the smaller peak you see first, then the near bank of the river comes in to point to the larger peak forming a balanced X shape. Works a treat, great shots.

I believe I commented on these on flickr, so I will say something different now that I have noticed it here. The house shot is lovely of course, but what works well in the composition of the other shot further upstream is the balance of the composition left to right, the diagonal bank of the river coming in from the left to point to the smaller peak you see first, then the near bank of the river comes in to point to the larger peak forming a balanced X shape. Works a treat, great shots.

I think the later 2 feel more 3 dimensional. Sure the house is great but pretty happy with both of them. Sometimes the clouds form a saltire shape which can be quite amusing but not on these occassions.

Nice work the first is my favourite

It still amazes me how many reflections you get Steve

Last edited:
Nice work the first is my favourite

It still amazes me how many reflections you get Steve

I chase reflections, I love them. I pick still days to head out and spots that are sheltered/smaller if the larger lochs are choppy. For instance, you can get reflections a lot more here and the Torren lochan than you can get on loch lomond.

Reflections are the motivator and key thing in my pictures. It's what I like and it is what I do.

Back