Buachaille Etive Mor

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
No
About a month or so, I had a rare photography weekend in Scotland. Stayed up near Glencoe, and on my way up on the Saturday afternoon, I stopped off at the waterfalls at Buachaille Etive Mor. I took this as a bit of a recee shot, and thought I'd come back when the light was better. 2 sunsets and 2 sunrises later, the light never even came out anywhere in a 50 mile radius, let alone here, so this will have to do until the next time.

I probably looked like a right mad man to anyone else there as I outrigged my tripod so the camera sat over the pools so the clump of heather didn't cut the line of the water. Had to counterweight the tripod to stop the whole thing falling into the water!

The Waterfall
by Stu Meech, on Flickr

Last edited:
Kudos for getting this shot, and it really shows the benefit of getting a photo on the day even when you hope/expect that you'll get the chance for a better one. (y)

Lovely classic shot.
I can almost see that water moving.

Lovely capture !

That's very nice Stu, with for me just about the right amount of movement in the water.(y)

George.

Stood down in the water in that corner a few times myself trying to keep the heather out. A nice clean shot considering you can only work what the weather gives you at the time :whistle:

Well done Stu! Now that's a perspective I don't think I have quite seen before @ST4 have you shot at that angle before? Each photo of this place is unique to me slightly different light slightly different angle.
I really like that Stu I'm glad no one has used the word cliche yet as that gives me the hump! I can never get enough of looking at these places and then someone will come up with a new angle you have not seen before! Your a brave man for hanging your gear out over the pools!
One day I'll get up there too!
Nice work, well shot(y)

Excellent capture very well composed good foreground interest with water and rocks,yep like it.
GEORGE

Thanks.

Kudos for getting this shot, and it really shows the benefit of getting a photo on the day even when you hope/expect that you'll get the chance for a better one. (y)
Thanks. Yes it's not often I do that, but I was passing on the way to the hotel and the sun was out so thought why not.

I like that and a good take. Often the heather gets in the way and the compositions often messy at this spot.This is nice and clean
Thanks mate. I'm pleased I worked at it to get a better composition than what I could initially manage.

Lovely classic shot.
I can almost see that water moving.
Thankyou. Tried to keep the exposure as fast as possible to get the movement in the water and it not be a complete blur.

Love the shot
Thanks.

You're producing some great work Stu, and this is very good.
Thanks mate. Trying my best! :)

Lovely capture !
Thanks.

yep, like it Stu.
Thanks, Neil.

That's very nice Stu, with for me just about the right amount of movement in the water.(y)

George.
Cheers George. See previous reply on water movement!

I'm really sorry but I've seen this shot so many times I really can't get excited. I understand it's a "trophy shot" of course. It is technically excellent though.
Don't be sorry Andy, I know totally what you mean. But on a frustrating weekend of nothing (I watched alot of F1 though!) it was nice to share something.

Stood down in the water in that corner a few times myself trying to keep the heather out. A nice clean shot considering you can only work what the weather gives you at the time :whistle:
Ain't that the truth Paul!

Well done Stu! Now that's a perspective I don't think I have quite seen before @ST4 have you shot at that angle before? Each photo of this place is unique to me slightly different light slightly different angle.
I really like that Stu I'm glad no one has used the word cliche yet as that gives me the hump! I can never get enough of looking at these places and then someone will come up with a new angle you have not seen before! Your a brave man for hanging your gear out over the pools!
Nice work, well shot(y)
Hi Steve, well I'll be the first (bar you!) to use the cliche term! Haha. It is a cliche shot, but not when you haven't been there yourself and got your own copy! Hope you get up there one day.

A classic. Great shot.
Thankyou.

Excellent capture very well composed good foreground interest with water and rocks,yep like it.
GEORGE
Thankyou.

Good composition and good focal length, the tree is there but not too imposing. Just needs some light on the peak and you're laughing.

Good composition and good focal length, the tree is there but not too imposing. Just needs some light on the peak and you're laughing.
Tell me about it, a whole long weekend spent waiting for it, but not getting it! :)

Nice work, well shot(y)

Sorry, late to the party. Not quite shot this angle. I tend to try include the big square boulder over to the left, Stus angle has removed it altogether by going portrait and further to the right than most would stand. Actually I have never seen it shot quite this way, its a cool angle, brings out the falls more and its a cleaner angle.

Sorry, late to the party. Not quite shot this angle. I tend to try include the big square boulder over to the left, Stus angle has removed it altogether by going portrait and further to the right than most would stand. Actually I have never seen it shot quite this way, its a cool angle, brings out the falls more and its a cleaner angle.
I quite like seeing something something a bit different, what say you Steve. To be honest i never get bored of looking at this place.

I quite like seeing something something a bit different, what say you Steve. To be honest i never get bored of looking at this place.

A lot of people go on about cliched shots as a negative but light, angles, always make good shots stand out from great ones.

There is nothing wrong with cliched big view landscapes, particularly when they are as appealing as this.

I do wish the OP spent more time in the area and produced some other images. A weekend really isn't long enough and repeated visits are a must.

I do wish the OP spent more time in the area and produced some other images. A weekend really isn't long enough and repeated visits are a must.
I'd love too, if I had more time! And Glencoe area is a bloody long way away.

I've got other photos, but the conditions weren't great so I've not shared them.

Last edited:
I'd love too, if I had more time! And Glencoe area is a bloody long way away.

I've got other photos, but the conditions weren't great so I've not shared them.

10hour car ride...nothing. All nighter after work and you are here for morning golden hour. Nap in a hotel, shoot evening, nap again, shoot AM, drive back. It can be done.

10hour car ride...nothing. All nighter after work and you are here for morning golden hour. Nap in a hotel, shoot evening, nap again, shoot AM, drive back. It can be done.
Mate, some of my work is all nighters! I do silly stuff, yes, last night I drove 2 hours to Burnham-on-Sea, shot sunset, 5 hrs sleep in Travelodge, shot Clevedon and rapeseed fields sunrise then home for 8am. But Glencoe takes planning!

Reactions: ST4
Mate, some of my work is all nighters! I do silly stuff, yes, last night I drove 2 hours to Burnham-on-Sea, shot sunset, 5 hrs sleep in Travelodge, shot Clevedon and rapeseed fields sunrise then home for 8am. But Glencoe takes planning!

To be fair the last time I went as far south as you was to go to France...

I did the Elan Valley for sunrise, 6hrs only thru the night, 2hrs shooting then back again. Was quite tiring but so much fun.

I do admire both of you for your dedication, all i can say is how on earth do you manage to fit this around work and family! Or is just my jobs a bitch:eek:
I'm currently trying to work out next years break, which is either going to be Norway (again) Iceland but now you to buggers have compounded the issue by adding Glencoe!
Perhaps I'm just getting too old:(
Anyhow keep up the good work lads gives me (and others i'm sure) inspiration(y)

Sorry, late picking up on this one.

I'm barely 2.5 hrs away from this spot and I moan about that, so respect to anyone that does the camping/10 hour/hotel/driving/work thing.

I really like the image, the light there can be fickle but you've done an excellent job with what you had. I shall have to remember this composition for next time. (y)

Back