Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
First Light from the River Etive

_DSC0287 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Later on from a small water pool

_DSC0302 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

It's a lovely time of year with the moorland finally turning green after months of being that brown depressing dead colour. Also with early sunrises there is no-one about here during the week which is bliss.

And the midges probably haven't started yet either, so you can spend time in the wonderful stillness to get shots like this. Result!

One could say (without any sense of exaggeration) that reflections are a theme running through your work, Steve.

Taken as a whole, as a body of work, it's the sort of thing that would make a good book or exhibition, if you feel up to it.

I am glad you said it...because they are.

I've thought for a while around a book around the theme of reflections but I've got a large enough body of work to do it...yet...

My issue is I have a lot of images of the same thing, you might have noticed I like the same places. I haven't got enough of the Trossachs, and the far north of Scotland to do it. Plenty of Rannoch Moor and Glencoe.

A work in progress and one for the 5yr plan.

Last edited:
I want these images, maybe Saturday.

Both stonkers if you ask me but 2 has better light, not that 1 is shabby. The reflection in 2 is better but I would've liked to have seen more of The Buachaille reflected, pesky bank. ;-) Still a gooj'un that I wish I had.

I want these images, maybe Saturday.

Both stonkers if you ask me but 2 has better light, not that 1 is shabby. The reflection in 2 is better but I would've liked to have seen more of The Buachaille reflected, pesky bank. ;-) Still a gooj'un that I wish I had.

You'll find that little pool easily enough. It's usually pretty still too as its quite sheltered. The tripod was quite low to frame as much as the reflection as possible but too much lower and the grasses would start to cut the mountain off. Its all a balancing act.

You'll find that little pool easily enough.

I'm thinking it might be just a bit further upstream from the usual spot, with the river on the left?

Plan for Saturday is, leave just after 1/2 midnight, go to Kilchurn depending on winds, then maybe up to Glencoe. Then home to crash all day with processing and beer planned for Saturday evening.

I'm thinking it might be just a bit further upstream from the usual spot, with the river on the left?

Plan for Saturday is, leave just after 1/2 midnight, go to Kilchurn depending on winds, then maybe up to Glencoe. Then home to crash all day with processing and beer planned for Saturday evening.

I go further upstream than the norm, it works well for me as the banking is lower at that point - yes the river is too the left. Tomorrow is good, either Trossachs or back there.

I've been banned from facebook so cannot do updates of what I am doing at the moment. Someone has a bee in their bonnet about me exposing the truth of the world.

I prefer the composition of 1 with the light and stillness of 2. But enjoy both. When we get back to UK in future I think my first excursion will be up to glencoe again.it's nice to see spring shots rather then just snowy winter images of here (as super as they are!).

What is it like for midges once it starts to warm up? Were you standing in a head to to mosquito net for these?

I prefer the composition of 1 with the light and stillness of 2. But enjoy both. When we get back to UK in future I think my first excursion will be up to glencoe again.it's nice to see spring shots rather then just snowy winter images of here (as super as they are!).

What is it like for midges once it starts to warm up? Were you standing in a head to to mosquito net for these?

One is taken from the River Alan, it always has a slight flow to it. One thing might be to take a little stopper to help smooth it out. IIRC I left mine in the car with the other camera bag. The second shot was taken from a little water pool thats separate from the river so it was completely still.

I was on Rannoch Moor early this AM. The midges weren't too bad but I was certainly aware they are there. As the summer progresses they will get worse but its a price worth paying.

I don't particularly mind them and given the hazards/dangers of other places in the world midges just don't register. You can wear long sleeves (I prefer shorts and T shirts) that will help a little but all they do is itch a little. I wouldn't worry about them but rather get out there once you are back.

I agree, for photography I far prefer this spring/summer to the winter. Unless there is a complete covering of snow and some light the winter scenes don't work for me. Then again, I never liked winter, even growing up. I've always just liked summer, the lovely colours of summer and the warmth. I am glad I am not the only one.

Last edited:
Back