Film Shots - an app for film photographers born here on TP

Version 0.8 is out in both Alpha and Public Beta!

* added 'Duplicate roll' feature
* Cosmetic changes - in particular renamed 'Status' to 'Workflow' as the former was a bit too technical

It is now available to everyone on Google Play as a public beta - the only difference to 'normal' apps is that all feed back goes privately to me
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leaf500.filmlog

Last edited:
Version 0.8 is out in both Alpha and Public Beta!

* added 'Duplicate roll' feature
* Cosmetic changes - in particular renamed 'Status' to 'Workflow' as the former was a bit too technical

It is now available to everyone on Google Play as a public beta - the only difference to 'normal' apps is that all feed back goes privately to me
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leaf500.filmlog
Just back from giving it a good workout - 3 cameras with 6 film holders. Fantastic! Really like the improvements you've made - thank you every so much for building this app!

Duplicate roll worked like a charm!

@Shugpug Thank for the feedback, really glad you like the app.

Are those 3 LF cameras? I am just trying to understand your use case to better design the 'holders' feature

If you have a minute, please give a bit more detail, that would really help.

Last edited:
@Shugpug Thank for the feedback, really glad you like the app.

Are those 3 LF cameras? I am just trying to understand your use case to better design the 'holders' feature

If you have a minute, please give a bit more detail, that would really help.
Ah - sorry for misleading you. One 4x5 camera (Intrepid MK4) with the six sheets of film, plus a 120 pinhole (Holga WPC) and a folding 120 rangefinder (Certo Six).

Hope this makes more sense?

The uphill struggle with Apple's SDK is more or less over and the iOS version is almost here. There are a couple of feature missing yet - e.g. editing the frame record, the workflow and minor stuff like deleting rolls/frames and changing ordering. I will soon be available on TestFlight for anyone to try

A neat feature that Android doesn't have yet is that it prefills the roll name with current location and date. Also I think the roll edit screen is better, so will probably be taking the idea to Android as well.

Simulator video:
(It doesn't support camera, so I can only select pictures from the gallery, the real device will use camera)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF-pxMvNkLs

Last edited:
Looks really good so far, if you ever need a hand with the IOS version feel free to drop me a DM (assuming you are using Swift)

Thanks, will do!

I am using Swift and made a mistake of wading into SwiftUI for the first week :oops: :$ That thing is seriously buggy
Switched to storyboard and quickly found myself at home with it, so it's going well

SwiftUI is certainly not without it's problems, but as time goes on I am starting to like it (I've been through years of fighting storyboards to respect bounds and positions).

Good luck with the app though, it's very rewarding when you get something out into the wild :)

@gavlar80 thank you, it's certainly very thrilling :D I am a backend dev, so it's nice to build something to be used by human beings for a change :LOL:

Yes, after android layouts with their endless flexibility the storyboard/uikit has been a bit of a struggle. I have found it easiest to just build static tables and stacks and let them do the hard work, instead of trying to align everything with constraints. A bit of programmatic manipulation too to adjust things here and there.

Works so far, but that probably because my layouts are not that fancy :D

Last edited:
iOS app sounds very cool. Definitely interested in giving it a go (y)

Lovely to see people as far afield as Switzerland, Germany and US using the app :banana:

And now also Thailand and Turkey :D
My data is a couple of days behind, so if you downloaded recently I may not have seen your country yet

Just to be clear, I don't see any if your personal data. Just stats, like how may from this country and how many from that

Last edited:
iOS app is ready to roll, just need to sort out a couple of formalities like a proper icon.

Some screenshots.

Library screen. I decided to go with larger thumbnails with metadata below it, like most photo apps do
tap '+' to add or long tap to edit
Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 11 Pro Max - 2020-03-08 at 15.23.21.jpg

Adding/Editing a roll
it now comes preloaded with most common emulsions, formats and camera models, but you are free to add/edit anything you want and it will quickly learn your preferences
Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 11 Pro Max - 2020-03-08 at 15.20.59.pngSimulator Screen Shot - iPhone 11 Pro Max - 2020-03-08 at 15.21.42.png

Roll content screen
Single click on 'camera' button to record a frame and edit afterwards as you need
'Workflow' button open up workflow actions

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 11 Pro Max - 2020-03-08 at 15.24.10.png

You can then apply workflow filter on the Library screen
Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 11 Pro Max - 2020-03-08 at 15.24.25.png

Attachments

• Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 11 Pro Max - 2020-03-08 at 15.23.59.png
    Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 11 Pro Max - 2020-03-08 at 15.23.59.png
    476 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I've just downloaded the android version and I'm impressed. Just need to find the time to shoot a roll :)

IOS version is looking good.

Submitted to TestFlight (Apple's testing channel) and waiting for initial review, which make take a couple of days I am told :oops: :$

The app will from now on be called MyFilmLog because apparently someone has reserved the name on AppStore.
I think it's even better anyway, sort of a personal touch

It's got a new shiny icon too

Icon-60@3x.png

I am working on Android version update to incorporate all this, plus the autocomplete data.

Alex, I'm a late early adopter! I've installed from the Google Play store, and very much like what I see. Congratulations!

1. My approach to recording rolls has been using Excel. This obviously gives opportunities for analysis by camera, film, lens etc etc. I wonder if an "Export to Excel" or similar function might be possible in the app?

2. Any thoughts on whether the app could be expanded to record development details?

Malc

@xobam thank you, great to have you on board

I can certainly add an export to CSV, which Excel can then consume. Do you want all the data for each shot, or just the rolls?

Development details is on my list, along with tons of other stuff :D The only problem is I don't develop myself, so not totally sure what people need there. So any input is welcome.

I can certainly add an export to CSV, which Excel can then consume. Do you want all the data for each shot, or just the rolls?
I would suggest all data. It can always be filtered by the user according to their own usecase.

Development details [...]
I admit I'm something of a noob when it comes to developing. I've simply used a free-text field to record the technique, chemicals, times etc - but others here will be better able to suggest a few concrete fields to include in this respect.

One other data item I've recorded per film - the folder pathname where the digitised shots are stored.

Uploaded iOS version 0.2 with a couple of tweaks to autocomplete functionality. Nothing major

Android version 0.12 is rolling out in alpha/beta:

• Camera/Format/Emulsion data for autocomplete. I also changed the way autocomplete collects the data, so it may 'forget' minor pars of the history like ISO speeds and exposure, but will soon pick it up again. I also intentionally didn't carry over your 'format' data as I wanted to encourage more or less consistent set of format names, so please try to use them and only create new ones if you really need. The standard ones are "120/XxY" (XxY being 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7 etc all the way to 6x24) , "135/FF" (35mm full frame) and "135/HF" (half frame cameras)
  • Default roll name "Locality, Month Year"
  • New icon :D
This is it for now, I didn't have much time to work on it lately - urgently setting up home office/zombie proof bunker.

Anyone tried the iOS version yet? Dying to see some feedback :D

Last edited:
Working on "holders" feature for the LF users.
The idea is that you can setup a "set of holders" now instead of a roll. Key differences are:
  1. you can edit emulsion and box/rated ISO per each shot
  2. frames are numbered as 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and so on
  3. You can pre-setup the holders in advance and then just edit time/location, or add them as you go along
Here is an example of a set
Screenshot_1584389010.png

Last edited:
Working on "holders" feature for the LF users.
The idea is that you can setup a "set of holders" now instead of a roll. Key differences are:
  1. you can edit emulsion and box/rated ISO per each shot
  2. frames are numbered as 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and so on
Here is an example of a set
View attachment 272023
This looks fantastic! Thank you!

One other thing I was thinking off was a film fridge feature - ie what you have in stock? Being able to pull a film straight from there to the camera would be cool as well!

Last edited:
@Shugpug glad you like it, will try to release it in the next couple of days, just need to settle down working from home

The fridge stock is a good idea thank you, I will see what can be done :)

Good idea for the film holders... but when I got my holders, they were already numbered 8-9, 10-11, 14-15 etc. So could we choose our own scheme?

Good idea for the film holders... but when I got my holders, they were already numbered 8-9, 10-11, 14-15 etc. So could we choose our own scheme?

That is a good point, not being an LF shooter I didn't know they come numbered! Just to clarify 8-9 is one holder? Or two holder each having side A and B?

That is a good point, not being an LF shooter I didn't know they come numbered! Just to clarify 8-9 is one holder? Or two holder each having side A and B?
The latter - one physical bit of kit with two sides for 2 separate sheets of film. My holders are also pre-labeled (alpha-numeric) so this would be handy.

In my case they were clearly labelled by the previous owner, who presumably got them blank. But I've been using these numbers with my Evernote-based "system" for keeping track of field shots (let's me take brief notes in the field then amplify them at the desktop as soon as I get home).

Android version 0.16 is rolling out

1.Holders:
  • Create a set of holders instead of a roll
  • Optionally setup the defaults
  • Edit emulsion and ISO per each frame
  • Frames are numbered as 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B and so on
  • delete a frame or the entire holder
  • I haven't yet figured out how to do custom numbering easily, so the workaround for now is to remove holders you don't need
2.Improved autocomplete:
  • Data is now shared between roll and frame screens
  • All fields are now autocomplete except comments
3. New workflow status 'Printed'.
4. Couple of cosmetic improvements, e.g. large thumbnails in edit roll/edit frame screens

I see quite a few people have installed the iOS version now. Would love to see some feedback :)

ok, quite a big update for iOS (version 0.5 should reach you within next 48 hours)

Main change is the holders. Very similar to Android, it gives you an option to create a set and setup the defaults (same as for roll)

Other changes
  • Reworked UI to be more consistent with both Android version and iOS guidelines, this includes:
    • Compact thumbnails in the roll list/frame list. Decided the large ones were over the top after all. Do let me know what you think
    • Workflow actions are now in the roll edit screen
    • Destructive actions moved to the bottom of respective edit screens
    • Separate buttons to take reference pictures or pick from library
    • All/None options in the workflow filter
    • Using more suitable default thumbnails
    • Plus more polishing up

As always your feedback and suggestions are very welcome

Library screen

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2020-03-28 at 22.59.22.pngSimulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2020-03-28 at 23.03.06.png

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2020-03-28 at 23.02.53.png

Set/Roll edit screen

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2020-03-28 at 22.59.43.pngSimulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2020-03-28 at 23.00.00.png
Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2020-03-28 at 23.00.13.png

Set of holders content

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2020-03-28 at 23.02.05.png

Edit frame

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2020-03-28 at 23.02.21.pngSimulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2020-03-28 at 23.02.31.png

Last edited:
48 hours may have been too optimistic, Apple reviewers are taking their time due to quarantine.

iOS version 0.7 is up for review as well now, so will roll out soon after 0.5 or (fingers crossed) instead of it

In this one I changed the implementation of autocomplete feature - it now attaches to the virtual keyboard, looks a lot more 'native' and does better matching
Also improved autofill feature.

Sorry to keep changing this, but unlike Android, iOS inexplicably doesn't have a standard autocomplete implementation, so everyone invents their own :rolleyes:Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone 8 - 2020-03-30 at 12.02.30.png

Last edited:
As I was hoping they approved both at the same time, so I expired the 0.5 and you should now be able to upgrade to 0.7

Happy shooting even if only in the back garden ;)

Back