Film Shots - an app for film photographers born here on TP

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

A while ago I asked how do people track their films's dates and locations https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...of-whats-on-the-film-dates-and-places.691186/
And since it turned out there wasn't an app that could do it efficiently (single click) , I thought I should build my own, which was also a good opportunity to finally learn a bit of Android and iOS programming

The only permission it will ask for is Location. If you deny, it will record all locations as 'Unknown'.

This is now published on Play Market, click 'Install' here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leaf500.filmlog
Or just search FilmLog in Google Play app on your phone.
Because this is an early access version, all feedback will be going privately to me, or you can just post it here on this thread

iOS version is on TestFlight now, please tap on this link https://apps.apple.com/us/app/film-shots-analog-photo-exif/id1501898633?ls=1
It will ask you to install TestFlight first if you don't have it. Don't worry it's Apple's official testing channel and all apps are subject to the same standards

So here is a result.

You can record right from the lock screen
Lockscreen.png

Or from our smart watch
watch.pngandroid-round-small.png

Library screen, where you setup your rolls
Library.png

You add one by pressing the '+' button
You can also edit the roll by "long tapping" it

All fields are optional, but I do recommend at lease the name, so you can identify it later
Autocomplete will help you and remember your favourite combinations for the future

Here you can take a reference picture, which may help you identifying the roll when it's back from lab
In the "Camera" section you enter Camera name, default lens, default focal length,
In the "Film" section - emulsion name, format name, box speed and rated speed
In the "Exposure" section - default exposure values

Edit-frame.png

When you open the roll, you see the list of shots and you can record new shots with a single click on the 'camera' button
It will record location (if you give permission) and time + all the default values (lens, focal length, exposure)
You can modify everything later

RollContent.png

Tap on a shot to edit it
Again, you can take a reference picture if you need
You can modify all fields including date and time

Edit-frame.png

Track workflow of your rolls and holders
Workflow.png

Filter them by status
Filter.png

Attachments

• EditRoll.png
    EditRoll.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
This sounds, and looks, very interesting. TBH I don't have the technological know-how to install it manually (I may be over complicating this :)) but if it comes to fruition and is available I would definitely use it. Good luck and I shall watch with interest.

This sounds, and looks, very interesting. TBH I don't have the technological know-how to install it manually (I may be over complicating this :)) but if it comes to fruition and is available I would definitely use it. Good luck and I shall watch with interest.

Andy, there is nothing complex about it, you just click on the file and it will tell you what to do. If you pm me you email, I will share it with you and it will appear on your Google drive

Interested to test the IOS version if/when it appears :)

So the next features I've been thinking about:

1) Memorise the cameras, lenses, emulsions etc that you enter and generate a drop down with suggestions as you type them in next time

2) Memorise the default relationships between camera->lens, camera->format, emulsion->speed and automatically populate them next time.
e.g. if you type Olympus XA, it will set the lens to "F. Zuyko 2.8/35" and format to "35mm Full Frame"
For emulsion "HP5 Plus", set box speed to 400. With emulsions like Portra it will either just use the first ISO you ever entered, or the most often used one.

How does that sound?

Last edited:
So the next features I've been thinking about:

1) Memorise the cameras, lenses, emulsions etc that you enter and generate a drop down with suggestions as you type them in next time

2) Memorise the default relationships between camera->lens, camera->format, emulsion->speed and automatically populate them next time.
e.g. if you type Olympus XA, it will set the lens to "F. Zuyko 2.8/35" and format to "35mm Full Frame"
For emulsion "HP5 Plus", set box speed to 400. With emulsions like Portra it will either just use the first ISO you ever entered, or the most often used one.

How does that sound?

Sounds great, although I'm not sure how #2 will work, given the number of compatible lenses, that could take a lot of typing to get any sort of information base sorted.
Love the rest of the ideas though

Sounds great, although I'm not sure how #2 will work, given the number of compatible lenses, that could take a lot of typing to get any sort of information base sorted.

Yes, the alternative is to have an 'Inventory' where the user setup cameras/lenses, but the current trend in software is to "learn" on the fly rather than require a lot of initial setup.
I guess I could ship the app with some data pre-populated, especially the emulsions and formats

Yes, the alternative is to have an 'Inventory' where the user setup cameras/lenses, but the current trend in software is to "learn" on the fly rather than require a lot of initial setup.
I guess I could ship the app with some data pre-populated, especially the emulsions and formats
It was mostly the camera/lens relationship I was concerned about, though if you're someone who tends to stick to certain kit rather than grabbing all and sundry (like me) itd be a lot easier lol

yes, I need to think about it and try a couple of options... So would you rather have a rigid list of lenses that are compatible with the selected camera, or a input field with autocomplete suggestions?

Personally, an input field with suggestions but that I could input my own if needed.

Is there a way to delete a roll?

Personally, an input field with suggestions but that I could input my own if needed.

yes, I think I will do that.

Is there a way to delete a roll?

No, I was actually going to implement it and forgot! Will do it tonight and update the apk
(Will need to start using an issue tracker before long)

To all alpha testers :D Version 0.1 is out. Please re-download the apk and install it again. Those with gmail accounts should get notified by GDrive, I hope.

You can now delete a roll, or an individual frame. Just tap on '...' button on either 'edit' screen and select 'delete'

Screenshot_1580860416.png

Last edited:
Another quick update (Version 0.2)

Added confirmation prompts when roll or frame is being deleted

I am off to bed :rolleyes:

Another quick update (Version 0.2)

Added confirmation prompts when roll or frame is being deleted

I am off to bed :rolleyes:

Thats a damned good idea. I'll redownload now

EDIT: No luck, its only letting me download the original, rather than the updated file.

Last edited:
EDIT: No luck, its only letting me download the original, rather than the updated file.

So you could download v0.1 (with 'delete' feature) but not v0.2? Or is it only the very first one that you have access to?

If any one else is having the same problem, please let me know

I'd be interested if you get an IOS version, in the meantime I've borrowed an Android phone so I can give it a go if you're still looking for people to test.

I'd be interested if you get an IOS version, in the meantime I've borrowed an Android phone so I can give it a go if you're still looking for people to test.

Hi Nick, absolutely, just PM me your email (gmail if you have it) and I will share the APK

I am getting ready to release FilmLog into closed beta on Google Play, so it's easier for you guys to sign up and get updates. Next stage is open beta and then (fingers crossed) full production

Blimey Alex , you are clever , I can just about use a phone :giggle:

Good luck with your app. It's reminded me that ages ago I wrote a talking development timer app for Android with Java under the, then approved, IDE of Eclipse under Windows Vista and placed the apk on Dropbox. The supported IDE has been replaced with Android Studio and my Dropbox has been turned off as Vista is too old.

About 6 years ago I'd had enough of my old PC for development and Windows, bought a laptop and and put Linux (Ubuntu on it) together with Android Studio. I never bothered porting the dev timer app to the new machine but I have found the binary apk. All this simple app does is speak out "agitate soon", " x minutes(and 30 seconds)" and "development ending soon" plus "development finished". It can be configured for total development time and agitation intervals of 1 minute/30 seconds. It's all very basic but does allow the user to do something else without watching the clock.

I've put the apk on my port-forwarded Raspberry Pi and if anyone's interested please PM and I'll send them a link. to the RPi. I'm not keen on posting the IP address on a public forum, even though I've got just the one port open and fail2ban running to keep out any hacker types.

Ok guys great news! FilmLog 0.3 is now available for closed alpha test on Google Play! "Closed Alpha" means it is still by invitation only - just PM me your gmail address if you want to join.
I have already added those who have asked me to share the APK and game their Gmail addresses.

New in version 0.3:
1. Autocomplete. FilmLog will now pick up historical data and help you filling it in for new rolls!
2. Bug fixes

Those who have joined the test, can access it here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.leaf500.filmlog
(You need to be signed into your google account)

A bit of bad news. Those who side loaded the APK that I shared via GDrive will unfortunately have to uninstall it and lose their data before they install the Market version - that is because Google doesn't allow updating side loaded apps from the Market. Totally my fault I should have started with closed alpha instead of side loading. You live and learn. I promise from now no data losses.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried version 0.3 guys? Please do let me know if you see any issues.

Has anyone tried version 0.3 guys? Please do let me know if you see any issues.
I'm on 0.3 - not an issue per se, but I'd it possible to display the comments on the front page. Noting frame by frame isn't something I do for every roll, so I'm using the comments for recording where I shot for each roll, and when I've sent it off for development.

Other than that, I like it a lot. It's intuitive and easy to use. Is there a way to save a camera so I can quickly choose one rather than having to re enter the details for every roll?

Last edited:
I'm on 0.3 - not an issue per se, but I'd it possible to display the comments on the front page.

Sure I will see how to make that work neatly.

Other than that, I like it a lot. It's intuitive and easy to use. Is there a way to save a camera so I can quickly choose one rather than having to re enter the details for every roll?

This should work already. Once you tap on the 'camera' field, a suggestion list should pop up. What phone are you using and what android version?

Last edited:
Back