Film Shots - an app for film photographers born here on TP

I'm on 0.3 - not an issue per se, but I'd it possible to display the comments on the front page. Noting frame by frame isn't something I do for every roll, so I'm using the comments for recording where I shot for each roll, and when I've sent it off for development.

Other than that, I like it a lot. It's intuitive and easy to use. Is there a way to save a camera so I can quickly choose one rather than having to re enter the details for every roll?
Same here if I am travelling I like to write myself a reminder about the film, i realise I can add it to the 1st frame but if it could be added and viable on the films list it would work better for me. I take in the writing "default " then a letter that's shows in some of the boxes is a placeholder of some sort?

@Shugpug, @niko

Just trying to understand the use case. So you want an equivalent of 'Location' field for the roll so that it's visible in the roll list? Can 'Name' field carry that information? Like 'Lake District March 2020 - Scafell Pike' then it will be visible in the list.

Or are you using 'name' for something else?

Last edited:
@Shugpug, @niko

Just trying to understand the use case. So you want an equivalent of 'Location' field for the roll so that it's visible in the roll list? Can 'Name' field carry that information? Like 'Lake District March 2020 - Scafell Pike' then it will be visible in the list.

The only thing for me with using name field is I would like to view more text in the list it only shows a limited number of letters/numbers and to view all inputted text you have to open/edit

The only thing for me with using name field is I would like to view more text in the list it only shows a limited number of letters/numbers and to view all inputted text you have to open/edit

Ah, well that can be fixed by making it wrap the lines. I think. Let me give it a go.

@Shugpug, @niko

Must confess that I don't fully get the name field. I currently just have it as the film stock and camera so on reflection it's easy enough to stick an initial location in there as well?

Last edited:
Just confess that I don't fully get the name field. I currently just have it as the film stock and camera so on reflection it's easy enough to stick an initial location in there as well?

I name my rolls by theme/location and date period.
Camera and emulsion/iso are displayed separately anyway, so there no real need to put it into the name.

Version 0.4 should be available soon depending on where you are

new in FilmLog 0.4:
* Wrapping long roll names in the roll list. Thanks to @niko and @Shugpug for reporting the issue
* Fixed a couple of bugs and a crash

This one will be candidate for a public beta, so feedback is really appreciated:ty:

Version 0.4 should be available soon depending on where you are

new in FilmLog 0.4:
* Wrapping long roll names in the roll list. Thanks to @niko and @Shugpug for reporting the issue
* Fixed a couple of bugs and a crash

This one will be candidate for a public beta, so feedback is really appreciated:ty:

Cool thanks mate I'll keep an eye out

Cool thanks mate I'll keep an eye out
Did you not get the update yet? It should have reached you within 1-2 hour after my post

To all alpha testers: Is anyone else having the same problem?

In the absence of an IOS version of this, there seems to be an iPhone app called Film Rolls, has anyone tried it?

Version 0.5 is being rolled out now.

More autocomplete support:
* All fields in new/edit roll
* Location, lens and focal length in edit frame

Numeric fields are not just autocomplete now, they get auto filled with most used values depending on related fields.
For example:
Once Lens is chosen, Focal Length is set to the most used one for that lens.
Other pairs are: Lens->Aperture, Emulsion -> ISO (box and rated), ISO->Exposure,

Of course user can still modify everything.

Getting ready to roll out to public beta, probably over the week end. Just need to brush up a couple of things,

Do let me know if you see any issues, even minor ones

Is there any way to backup or move data between devices?

It supports the automatic backup onto Google Drive provided by Android 6.0 and later.

When you setup a new phone, Android will ask you if you want to restore the backup and if you agree, you will see your data. Worth going into backup settings of the old phone and clicking "backup now" beforehand to make sure it's up to date.

If you want a two way sync data between the phones, then no this isn't supported yet. This will involve building an online service and enter the minefield of privacy policies, GDPR etc. I am not ready for that yet

Last edited:
@all

So apparently Google play doesn't always notify when there is an update, so open Google Play, click the menu button on the left, tap "My Apps and games", choose "beta" tab and you will see the update there

Last edited:
If you want a two way sync data between the phones, then no this isn't supported yet. This will involve building an online service and enter the minefield of privacy policies, GDPR etc. I am not ready for that yet

I really like the new front page! Really clear and easy to read - thank you. I've not entered any new real data yet (just loaded 4 DDSs, a pinhole and an MF folder before updating...) but a quick test looked good.

Completely understand the above ref GDPR etc. As I understand it (caution - my understanding may be incomplete...) are that it only applies if the data goes over a service you build - would one way to fix this be by never having access too the data? A manual backup to a local file iterating to a manual backup via a pre-existing cloud service iterating to sync over the users' cloud (with their pre-existing service agreements etc) - this way the data is always local to the device or in something I've already agreed too use? Or am I overthinking this..?

It is by no means a deal breaker and much more of a nice to have than a need to have!

Last edited:
manual backup to a local file iterating to a manual backup via a pre-existing cloud service iterating to sync over the users' cloud (with their pre-existing service agreements etc) - this way the data is always local to the device or in something I've already agreed too use? Or am I overthinking this..?

This is something I was going to implement, yes. Primarily as a tool for myself, because I keep installing and and deleting development versions and losing data. Also for those who will want to leave alpha/beta programme and switch to production. So it's coming soon

Seems good mate I am on v0.5 now I think. Must admit happy to just enter on multiple devices rather than an automatic sync. So would be good if the option to disable auto backup/sync was there as well. I don't like any cloud service if I can avoid it

Last edited:
@niko this is going to be a fully manual export/import operation. How user then transfers it to another phone is completely up to them - gdrive, dropbox, or simply via PC using mass storage

Would you guys prefer the frames to be listed from first to last, or in reverse order like rolls are?

version 0.6 is rolling out

What's new:
Backup export/import
Configurable sort order for rolls and frames
Improved location permission request (only affects new users)
About box
Usability improvements and bug fixes

Still closed alpha, but this is probably the one that will become first public beta

If anyone is still using the original APK I shared via Gdrive, ping me and I will give you the new one, so that you can export your data and switch to alpha or beta without losing it

I am working on 'workflow' feature where you can change the status of your roll and then chose to display rolls with certain statuses. This is to avoid clattering up the library screen with rolls that you are not using any more.

Here is what I came up with so far (and you can jump to any status in any order you want, app will not enforce any particular workflow):
"Active" - roll is currently in the camera and is being actively used
"Exposed" - it's, well, exposed and out of the camera
"In Lab" - This is mainly for those who send their films off to be processed
"Processed" - back from the lab/darkroom waiting to be printed/digitised.
"Digitised" - has been digitised
"Printed" - Prints (wet or digital) are ready
"Archived" - archived

Library screen will have a context menu to quickly change the statuses and a filter button on the tool bar

What do you guys think?

version 0.6 is rolling out

What's new:
Backup export/import
Still closed alpha, but this is probably the one that will become first public beta

So Alex, are you planning an export to a desktop computer? I'm thinking there is potentially really useful roll and shot information in there, that I (or a user, since I don't have an Android phone) might want to import into the metadata fields via their favourite DAM software. Not sure you could tailor the export specifically for LR, C1Pro etc, But even a simple text file export would allow some cut and paste insertion.

I remember reading about one of those "EXIF for film" apps, and seeing comments that while the app kept working, the companion desktop tool had disappeared. So KISS might be the order of the day here.

@ChrisR yes, what I am planning to do is export it as a command file for exiftool, which you can then apply in one click to your files.
The current backup export/import feature is an entirely different beast - all it does is a copy of SQLite database which is not human readable

You will be glad to hear that my mac has arrived and I will be starting on iOS version soon :banana:

Last edited:
@ChrisR yes, what I am planning to do is export it as a command file for exiftool, which you can then apply in one click to your files.
The current backup export/import feature is an entirely different beast - all it does is a copy of SQLite database which is not human readable

You will be glad to hear that my mac has arrived and I will be starting on iOS version soon :banana:
That's a relief as I can't get the Android version to download :(

I am sorry to hear that. One thing to check is that you are logged in under the gmail account you gave me, otherwise google play won't let you download it.
Yup, just double checked and the email is correct, its probably my fault, I'm not very android savvy so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Yup, just double checked and the email is correct, its probably my fault, I'm not very android savvy so I'm probably doing something wrong.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing :) Step by step
1) Make sure you android phone is linked to the email you gave me. Open 'settings' app, find 'Accounts' screen and check google account
2) Follow the link https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.leaf500.filmlog and make sure you log in under the same account in the browser
3) It will ask you if you agree to become a tester, bla bla bla.
4) Click "download it on Google PLay"
5) On the app page click 'install' and choose your phone from the list

You only do this once, after that it will get updates as a normal application

Last edited:
Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing :) Step by step
1) Make sure you android phone is linked to the email you gave me. Open 'settings' app, find 'Accounts' screen and check google account
2) Follow the link https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.leaf500.filmlog and make sure you log in under the same account in the browser
3) It will ask you if you agree to become a tester, bla bla bla.
4) Click "download it on Google PLay"
5) On the app page click 'install' and choose your phone from the list

You only do this once, after that it will get updates as a normal application
Brilliant! Thats worked (y)
Just need to load up a camera now.

Version 0.7 is rolling

Main change is roll workflow
* Long tap on a roll to assign different statuses to your rolls (Active, Exposed, In Lab, Processed, Digitised, Archived)
(there is a menu action to edit roll info too)
* Click on toolbar button to Filter your library by roll status(es)

And this time I do mean to roll it out into Public Beta :rolleyes: I must draw the line somewhere and start catching up with iOS version
So please check it out and report back any issues

Screenshot_1582270917.pngScreenshot_1582270931.png

Last edited:
Like it very much - I had an idea when driving in to work today, so hope it's not too late to hit the Android process. Any chance of being able to copy the basic inputs or set up defaults? I'm thinking of loading film holders when I'm going to post 4-6 identical film holders, with the only real difference being the holder number - copy/paste would make the process a while load swifter.

Like it very much - I had an idea when driving in to work today, so hope it's not too late to hit the Android process. Any chance of being able to copy the basic inputs or set up defaults? I'm thinking of loading film holders when I'm going to post 4-6 identical film holders, with the only real difference being the holder number - copy/paste would make the process a while load swifter.

That's interesting, I haven't thought about someone using multiple holders with the same camera. Are those MF holders, or are you using it to track your LF sheet films?
May be I should add a 'holder' field to the data model.

As for copy/paste, it is fairly easy to add a 'duplicate' action on the library screen. I will do it but probably after beta release, because I will never publish at this pace :ROFLMAO:

@Shugpug and other LF users, I am thinking how to make this work for you

What if we group all holders from a particular shoot (or theme) under one 'roll'?
And for this purpose we can use 'roll' as more of a virtual entity.

Then instead of adding 'frames' to that roll you add 'holders' numbering or naming each of them.
Then you add frames to your holders. The only difference to 35mm/MF frames will be that ISO can be edited individually for each frame.

This approach offers several benefits:
1) Less setup
2) Library screen isn't cluttered with duplicated entries
3) You holders/frames from a particular shoot are grouped and can be tracked all together

What do you think?

This would work for me as I have (so far) only gone out with one kind of film - I know some others go out with multiple films in different holders.

So - for my use case, perfect, but I don't necessarily think that this would be a universal solution.

This would work for me as I have (so far) only gone out with one kind of film - I know some others go out with multiple films in different holders.

So - for my use case, perfect, but I don't necessarily think that this would be a universal solution.

You are right, I need a different workflow for LF. I will think about it, and meanwhile I am adding a clone action to make your life easier

Back