Building an extension

Edit My Images
Yes
We have no idea where to even start.

We have a small kitchen and slightly larger utility room which we want to knock into one room and extend a little into the backyard.

Having never ventured into anything like this before (the most we’ve done is had doors and windows fitted, and a fitted bedroom wardrobe), it all seems daunting.

Do we speak to an architect first? Builder? Some sort of designer?

As Joe said it depends a bit on size, if you want something unimaginative and fairly generic then get a few builders round to suggest what they would do and give you an estimate. If you want something a bit more thought out then there are probably some local "building plans" type people who are not as pricey as architects but may be a bit more prepared to take on board your ideas. They will want hundreds to thousands to draw up plans though but then at least you should be able to get a more accurate price from a decent builder.

Also bear in mind that making changes after work has started can add a lot of cost so it is worth really trying to think it through first, as the saying goes, plan the work then work the plan.

the biggest cost with extensions etc is structural alterations, if you need to take out a chunk of external wall to say create a large room bingo its tons.
if you want to keep it cheap(ish) be creative on your thoughts on going out to the external area, perhaps turn a window into a wide exit space, all the supports are allready there.
its why conservatories are cheap as the doors generally allready exist.

Good advice to speak to your local planning office first to see what the requirements are. Then you wont get builders trying to pull the wool over your eyes with what work is required.

From personal experience, don’t let the builder suggest a mate who’s an architect. We did this when we had our extension done and the architect turned out to be terrible. His actual drawings were fine but he took ages to draw them (nearly four months to draw up a simple square extension). Then he needed constant threatening and badgering to get them submitted to the local planning office. He was slow at everything except cashing our cheques.

For actual builders I’ve found the best way is to ask for personal recommendations. If you’ve got neighbours who’ve had work done then see if they’re happy with the quality of the finished thing and the price. If you’ve got a local area Facebook group you could ask on there too, but I’d tend to look for people that get plenty of recommendations, not just single ones or the “my brother could do that for you, drop me a PM” type responses.

The Checkatrade type sites are ok but again make sure you you look at contractors who have good reviews over a long period of time, rather than tons of 5 star reviews over the last few weeks, as those can be fudged by friends and family.

Thanks all. It’s something I wanted to do when we bought this house. The kitchen is about 3x2.5m and the utility room is 3.5x2.5m. The kitchen was part of the house and tiny. Great for a 1950s housewife. Small by modern standards. The utility room was added on about 10 years ago by the previous owners.

Depends how big the extension is, if its small a decent builder won't have a problem planning it out. How big are we talking?
The aim would be to make a single room approximately 4m by 5m or 5m by 5m depending on how far we can project out into the garden.

the biggest cost with extensions etc is structural alterations, if you need to take out a chunk of external wall to say create a large room bingo its tons.
We would have to knock out the external wall of the kitchen facing the back garden, and the external wall of the kitchen that adjoins the utility room.

I’ve contacted an architect a neighbour recently used for his work. Quoted £1300 to draw up plans and submit them. Neighbour wasn’t massively impressed with their builder but we now have contacts for the rest such as plumbing and electrician.

Back