Building skies in a flat land

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
So we went for a summer afternoon walk between Somerton and Deddington and back in the Cherwell valley. The walk is a loop, and the field with the distant tree and people crossing visible in image 1 is the field with the path and tree in image 8.

The weather started out a little breezy, cloudy but with sunshine. About half way round the clouds began to build and we could hear thunder in the distance. About 10min after the last picture in the series was taken the heavens opened and we were drenched, with the rain falling hard until we got home.

Stormy afternoon walk 1 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Stormy afternoon walk 2 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Stormy afternoon walk 3 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Stormy afternoon walk 4 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Stormy afternoon walk 5 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Stormy afternoon walk 6 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Stormy afternoon walk 7 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Stormy afternoon walk 8 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

The conditions looked fantastic but looks a difficult area to shoot effectively. That's typical of my area where some height would be ideal so you can separate objects and trees etc but obviously can only use what you have. Simple is best that's why I think the last one is the strongest composition, but I'd crop out that stump on the left so the tree is the sole focal point. Have you got a version with a bit more sky?

A nice set. I hope you enjoyed the walk too :)

Thanks Steve.

Amazing sky in No7!

That's an interesting progress report of the weather conditions you experienced on your walk. All very 'English' too.

Thank you Jerry, I really wanted to bring out a bit of 'home counties' in the set. :)

The conditions looked fantastic but looks a difficult area to shoot effectively. That's typical of my area where some height would be ideal so you can separate objects and trees etc but obviously can only use what you have. Simple is best that's why I think the last one is the strongest composition, but I'd crop out that stump on the left so the tree is the sole focal point. Have you got a version with a bit more sky?

Thank you - I love the way light moves across the landscape at times like this, but it can be difficult to reproduce that in photos when it's so flat, just as you say. For the last I didn't really have time to work the scene, and paid more attention to the crop & path than the sky - a matter I now regret. Might try a square crop. I did do a few shots of the broken tree alone including varying amounts of sky, but the light had gone by then & the images are too flat.

Great shots, super skies in loads of those :)

Back