Critique Bulldog photo fun

Very nice!

In the first image IDK that I would want to be at f/2.8 and 1/6400... looking at the grass it appears you barely managed to get the eyes in focus. But at this size it works fine IMO. If it is a crop, I wouldn't put the ears so close to the edge.

The second one is funny to me... I want to say "remove the toy," but the look seems to be saying "just try it." With this one as well, I think the DOF/focus is just barely deep enough. Actually, I think you missed critical focus on the eyes, but it's not enough to ruin the image for me.

Thanks holty and sk66.

Sk66 I guess f3.2 and a slower shutter speed/lower iso would have been better. He was running in and out of shade under a tree on location so I found getting the balance right tricky. I see what you mean re dof, face and eyes are in focus on full size pic but not by much of a margin. A higher f of f3.2 or f4 might have worked better he was quite close on this pic on longer distance pics dof it's better. It's not a crop yes more space above ears would help balance pic maybe so please would help. He is a fast boy on the sprint, he was a challenge for me as I was trying not to crop after if possible to get best quality.

2nd pic focus is on the toy in front I was trying to get you to look at the toy 1st then see the grumpy monster behind after. Not sure I got this right, I wanted him to be the big bad guy at the back of the pic a little in blur. The colour pic leads a but better than the b/w but I like his face better in b/w. He is a big softy and would be happy for you to play with his toy.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post some areas for me to work on.

Last edited:
I think the first has great potential - it is just a shame about the blown highlights. Looks like you we battling with quite changeable conditions?

The second one is funny to me... I want to say "remove the toy," but the look seems to be saying "just try it."

And that's why IMHO the toy makes the photo. Great shot. My favourite of the two

I think the first has great potential - it is just a shame about the blown highlights. Looks like you we battling with quite changeable conditions?

Thanks for commenting Light was strong but under a tree so as he was running one second he was in shade then in strong light. Maybe not the best location one to watch for going forward. Patches of blown highlights, when not blow eyes very dark in shadow of wrinkles on face.

Love Bulldogs. Really like you caught him running.

Gaz

They are a lovely gently breed. This is our third and he never stops running.... The other two were much more laid back.

Agreed we had Bruce a brindle Bulldog for 12 years only dog we ever had. Was a great companion.

Gaz

He's a cracker, I just love dogs, but I do like Bulldogs very much, nice image (y)

Back