Bullfinch & Blue Tit

Edit My Images
Yes
Already posted in the communal thread, a couple from Friday afternoon.

My main quarry was Shorties but they only showed at distance........... again! :banghead: :D

All critique and comments welcome :)

Male Bullfinch by Phil D, on Flickr

Blue Tit by Phil D, on Flickr

Very nice,I find teh bullfinch a really diffficult bird to get good photo of. Its all in the eyes IMHO, but you have nailed it!

TFS

Two mighty fine shots Phil.

Thank you David :)

Excellent pair of shots

Thanks Keith

Beauty of the Bullfinch (y)

Thanks Roger

Just really great photos.

The bullfinch is so good...........

Many thanks Mark

Very nice,I find teh bullfinch a really diffficult bird to get good photo of. Its all in the eyes IMHO, but you have nailed it!

TFS

Thanks John

Gorgeous images, love the bully.

Thanks Paul

Lovely images Phil

Thanks David

A couple of lovely shots Phil - the pose on the blue tit is spot on.

Thanks Dave, much appreciated :)

a couple of cracking photos

Like these Phil (y)

Blue Tit is best by a mile IMO, cleaner background, great composition and no halo unlike the Bully which has a slight one around it, especially noticeable on the head. I know you love a halo! :D

Last edited:
Last edited:
Lovely colour tone and a dreamy softness to the shot, beautiful! You did a perfect job

the Bully which has a slight one around it, especially noticeable on the head. I know you love a halo! :D

What's this look like Wez? I've had this and the originally posted shot side by side and switched between the two, it does look like there was a halo around its head :p but I think I've got rid, any better or not? thanks

Male Bullfinch-resized edited.jpg

Last edited:
What's this look like Wez? I've had this and the originally posted shot side by side and switched between the two, it does look like there was a halo around its head :p but I think I've got rid, any better or not? thanks

View attachment 96696

Definitely better around the head but there seems to be a little bit of one above the primary feathers (where the bg is lighter) and just under the breast.

Just going to check on my phone and see if it's on there *Nips off*

Yup, can see it on there too. Maybe we're just too eagle-eyed lol :D

It really doesn't spoil the shot though (y)

Definitely better around the head but there seems to be a little bit of one above the primary feathers (where the bg is lighter) and just under the breast.

Just going to check on my phone and see if it's on there *Nips off*

Yup, can see it on there too. Maybe we're just too eagle-eyed lol :D

It really doesn't spoil the shot though (y)

Thanks Wez (y) its not until I toggle between the two shots, edited and originally posted, that I see the halo.

My pp'ing has come on loads in the last 6 months, I'm using techniques now that just went over me head 12 months ago and thought I'd never learn, all thanks to members on here and YouTube (y)

I've edited the Bully again and removed the halo ( I won't post a 2nd edit),but it was there and I'm grateful you pointed it out, that's what the critique section is all about (y)

It was easy to remove using Nik Dfine, zooming in on the image, choosing a small soft edge brush, NR @ 25% and running it just along the separation line between bird and bg, it all goes towards my learning, cheers :)

I am off to Specsavers :confused:. I am not denying they are there but I'll be damned if I can see them!!

I am off to Specsavers :confused:. I am not denying they are there but I'll be damned if I can see them!!

John, I've removed the halo in this edit, if you download this and the shot in the original post, open both in windows and toggle between the two you should be able to see the halo appear and disappear.

Removing it has just given a little softness to the edge of the bird but I'm sure I could do a better job without loosing IQ.

Its not the worse halo I've seen and probably won't be the last I create in pp'ing :D .......but at least I now know how to remove it :)

Male Bullfinch-resized edited.jpg

Very interesting about the halos Phil great shots by the way. I'm seeing something under the bottom mandible( bully).even in the last edit . As with Wez, Phil they are still cracking shots,interesting watching you more experienced guys post and evaluate cheers lads

stu

Very interesting about the halos Phil great shots by the way. I'm seeing something under the bottom mandible( bully).even in the last edit . As with Wez, Phil they are still cracking shots,interesting watching you more experienced guys post and evaluate cheers lads

stu

Thanks for the comments Stu :)

,interesting watching you more experienced guys post and evaluate

Stu, thanks for the compliment but I don't really see myself as 'more experienced', I'm trying to learn, what were for me, a few more advanced techniques :)

I've also found that studying other folks photos and giving crit, even if its just my personal preference as opposed to technical crit, has helped me to try improve my own shots, cheers

it's all relative bro to me you are more experienced to others we both put together ain't scratched the surface:D. Lovely work buddy we might get bullies here shortly as the plums bloom . I concur on crit it should never be harmful but it has to be honest and it don't much matter who is critiquing to me ,crit is one persons point of view we all have that . John (NC's) post is imformative to me mate this is the thing with crit opinions whatever. John made a point about the light on the face,it's all black eye cap black as black anyone like me who hasn't taken many pictures of these stunning guys can look for that when they get a chance. It's these little things that come with experience I guess I'm refering to mate but they are also little things that can make or brake an image.
I agree completely wish we all did more of it (your last sentence)

Ahh mate SEO's best not go there .... oh soddit you'll smile,it's happened to all of us. Finally was there when conditions were on, put my self where I wanted to be ,but my lass wasn't great so each time I went back to check her they stitched me up like a kipper...... stu down the bank.... turn shorty where I was..... three times mate one even landed on a wall out of spite not ten yards from where I was previously standing:banana:
funny as

stu

Back