Bumble Bee

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's my first attempt at using my new macro lens. I found a rather tired bumble bee on the drive way this morning, so thought it worthwhile to try taking a few photos. If it's still there later - it will likely be dead so might take it indoors and take some more photos. I don't yet have a suitable tripod - but tried handheld and with a flash.

I did a little bit of PP - brought up the shadows considerably.

Any advice gratefully received.

HSC_4321 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Looks like focus was in front of the bee Gil, the foreground path is well in focus but the bee itself rapidly loses focus from front to back ... probably a result of hand-holding.
If you get another chance with a tripod I would consider a head-on attempt which I think will look more effective. :)

:agree: but i`ll stick my head ouut here and say that this side veiw also works well with most insects.
I`ve had a look on your flickr for this Bee, no exif details available to see, hmm, maybe you could tell me/uss what they are ?
Always helpful info when starting out on a new adventure.

:agree: but i`ll stick my head ouut here and say that this side veiw also works well with most insects.
I`ve had a look on your flickr for this Bee, no exif details available to see, hmm, maybe you could tell me/uss what they are ?
Always helpful info when starting out on a new adventure.

Here you go Graham.

Attachments

• 852EDFDB-1EDF-45AD-9778-9C3821B0FEF1.png
    852EDFDB-1EDF-45AD-9778-9C3821B0FEF1.png
    164.4 KB · Views: 9
Unfortunately my subject has either flown off or been eaten although I'm not sure what would eat a bumble bee!! I'll need to find a new subject.

Ive realised that my tripod will splay its legs flat so next time I'll give it a go with a tripod. I had my flash mounted on the top of my camera and used TTL. I'm pretty new to using a flash and as yet don't have a way to soften the light.

Unfortunately my subject has either flown off or been eaten although I'm not sure what would eat a bumble bee!! I'll need to find a new subject.

Ive realised that my tripod will splay its legs flat so next time I'll give it a go with a tripod. I had my flash mounted on the top of my camera and used TTL. I'm pretty new to using a flash and as yet don't have a way to soften the light.
Look on the Macro thread, there is a place that shows lots of different types of diffusion and most home made.

I put some honey out for it but it wasn't interested. Really looked like it was struggling.

I put some honey out for it but it wasn't interested. Really looked like it was struggling.
I heard never honey, try sugar water, no idea on the mix though.

Honey is not recommended as it is an easy way to spread bee diseases.

Had a look through some of the other shots I took earlier. Is this one a bit better?

HSC_4317 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Not seen one for ages, it's very late in the year. As mentioned before it's likely a queen which will be looking for somewhere to hibernates. She has to survive the winter and in the spring start a new colony. It's a pretty tough life being a bumblebee!

Not an easy position to work with did you lay on the ground to get a better angle

Yes. Pretty much!! I guess it would be easier with a subject above ground level.

Back