Bumble bees and a fly

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some shots froma short garden safari yesterday there are more but I do not have the time to process them.

The sedum coming out makes the bees easier to capture as they take thier time visiting the many flower heads. I am not seeing any honey bees though.

Bumble bee on sedum 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Bumble bee on sedum by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Here is a fly that was just hanging about.

Fly by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think?

I think there is plenty of good sharp detail in all of them Alf. I think the DoF coverage in the last one is spot on.

I might be inclined to shift the subject to the right in #2 and to the left in #3.

Would there be any mileage in bringing down the highlights in #2 to give the sedum a "deeper" tonality more like that in #1? But it was a sunny day presumably, so perhaps not - the lighter tone may be expressing the lightness of the day better.

And, possibly, not sure, raise the shadows a little too to take the edge off the very dark area on the front of the head in #2? Might reduce the overall contrast too much though.

I think there is plenty of good sharp detail in all of them Alf. I think the DoF coverage in the last one is spot on.

I might be inclined to shift the subject to the right in #2 and to the left in #3.

Would there be any mileage in bringing down the highlights in #2 to give the sedum a "deeper" tonality more like that in #1? But it was a sunny day presumably, so perhaps not - the lighter tone may be expressing the lightness of the day better.

And, possibly, not sure, raise the shadows a little too to take the edge off the very dark area on the front of the head in #2? Might reduce the overall contrast too much though.

Thamks Nick all good suggestions I will look at.

Back