Burgh Island ICM

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
Drove down to Bantham Beach last night to try and catch some nice sunlight and reflections. The sun only made a very brief appearance and didn't really light the sky how I was hoping! So drawing inspiration from some of the superb ICM (in camera movement) I've seen on Twitter I thought I'd best give it a go!

This shot came after several attempts at various exposure times.

** EDIT Added texture in processing to give more painterly feel.

Last edited:
Well persevered. I like the effect but there's a bit too much nothingness on the bottom and left for me. I would love to see a crop in on the top right which I think would make great use of the lovely subtle colours and use the brightness of the water on the sand as a nice lead in line without taking away from the effect. If you dont mind me asking, what settings was this taken at?

Its quirky and different. I do like it, nice dreamy feel but as soon as I hear the phrase reflections I need to see more.
Unfortunately the sky didn't light up so no reflection shots Steve!

Well persevered. I like the effect but there's a bit too much nothingness on the bottom and left for me. I would love to see a crop in on the top right which I think would make great use of the lovely subtle colours and use the brightness of the water on the sand as a nice lead in line without taking away from the effect. If you dont mind me asking, what settings was this taken at?
Thanks I personally like the subtle Colour in sand and prefer minimalist images so won't be cropping. Settings are on my Flickr , think it was 5s exposure

Thats nice mate, but would probably chop a bit off the bottom for a 50:50
Hmmm really not keen on 50:50 for more minimalist images Neil! Could prob do a 16:9 and trim some sky and cloud, I do like my minimalist to have space tho.

That's a really nice take - well done that man.
Thank you

Wow! that is very nice on my eye Neil, and shooting into the sun in the pic is on another level or out of this world almost, very nicely harvested light indeed!
Thanks Kevin

I think this looks very nice indeed, I like the effect, gives a painterly feeling. I would however letter box it and loose a lot off the bottom. The extra space at the bottom seems dead, doesn't add a lot of interest or strength to the image.

Perfect as it is. Excellent composition which leads you into the sun and dunes at the back, nice use of subtle leading lines.

This technique seems very popular at the moment but this is one of the best outcomes. I'd still crop a bit tighter but it has a lovely peaceful feel to it.
Thanks Ian, much appreciated :)

I think this looks very nice indeed, I like the effect, gives a painterly feeling. I would however letter box it and loose a lot off the bottom. The extra space at the bottom seems dead, doesn't add a lot of interest or strength to the image.
Thanks Anthony

Perfect as it is. Excellent composition which leads you into the sun and dunes at the back, nice use of subtle leading lines.
Thank you :)

I really like like this
Cheers Andrew :)

I do like that shot Neil but over at flickr, looking at the large shot at the building on the hill makes my eyes feel like Mr Magoo :wideyed:
As for taste, Leave it as is, beautiful shot.

I do like that shot Neil but over at flickr, looking at the large shot at the building on the hill makes my eyes feel like Mr Magoo :wideyed:
As for taste, Leave it as is, beautiful shot.
Lol yeah, ICM can have that effect mate, might do a few more but really abstract ones with larger movements.

Great painting! ;)
Check out http://andrewsgray.photography to see some really great ICM that looks even more painterly than mine!

Lol yeah, ICM can have that effect mate, might do a few more but really abstract ones with larger movements.
Dont know how you do these shots but I have had a few (that I have binned) that have had this effect :D:p

Lovely that, Neil

Fortunately, I have taken nothing this week to enter into Wex as it'll be pointless due to the above anyway :)

Beautiful.
Please don't 50/50 it!

Lovely that, Neil

Fortunately, I have taken nothing this week to enter into Wex as it'll be pointless due to the above anyway :)
Didn't shortlist mate , first one in about 8 weeks tho so can't complain!

Beautiful.
Please don't 50/50 it!
Don't worry Ruth I tried it and instantly didn't like it, for me my style is all about using negative space! I've always liked minimalist design and I suppose I've tried to reflect that in my images.

Having nightmare with print supplier, I'll pm you about it tomorrow, I've not forgotten you

Back