Critique Bury St Edmunds Christmas Fayre.

blakester

Shine On Harvest Moon
Name
Iain
Edit My Images
No
I went along to Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk for their Christmas Fayre. Although I am not a member, I was invited along by a friend who helps run the local photographic society.
They were having a competition on the night to shoot 3 themes. I ended up shooting mainly street portraits, its been so long but I had a great time. Using off camera flash, I was a bit rusty but am pleased with the results. Images posted below, comments/critique most welcome.

Kevin & Sarah by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Kara by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Stranger #302 - Natalie by Iain Blake, on Flickr

Hi Iain

... always enjoy your street portraits (y) but never known you to use flash before!

Can't really comment other than to say ... really liking #1 the perfect dof, the subject stands out beautifully whilst there's still plenty of detail in that christmassy window.

Hi Iain

... always enjoy your street portraits (y) but never known you to use flash before!

Can't really comment other than to say ... really liking #1 the perfect dof, the subject stands out beautifully whilst there's still plenty of detail in that christmassy window.

Thanks!
I started my last round of 100 strangers using off camera flash. I think around half were made using ocf but I felt in the end I was just using it for the sake of it.
I hoped I may make a few portraits on Thursday night so I went prepared with ocf equipment. Just a bog standard yongnuo flash and trigger shot through a small softbox on a boom arm.

I'm not sure where I was when your last round of 100 strangers was being shot and posted. :confused:

I just remember lots were done a with reflector.

I'm not sure where I was when your last round of 100 strangers was being shot and posted. :confused:

I just remember lots were done a with reflector.

I finished the last round about a year and a half ago, I've parked the project since then.
Just getting back into it and I'm not really sure where I can take it. I do have a few ideas mulling over.

Lovely images Iain, loving the first shot the most as very Charles Dickens.

Thanks Dave, I enjoyed making the first shot as it was the first I've used ocf in such a long time, I am glad it worked.

Back