Butteremere reflection

I like it, the soft morning colours are sublime.

I might be tempted to crop a tad closer to the trees, maybe a 16:9ratio - just my preference when viewing full size on flickr. Great shot to have in the library nevertheless (y)

I wish I had been there :)
I was there a few months ago for a walk around Butteremere, but the weather and light left a bit to be desired...
It actually looks as if it should be rotated about 1 degree clockwise, but it could be an illusion.
Beautiful light, Alf.

Looks pretty fuzzy here. What are the 40 Mpx for?

Symmetrical reflections, generally, make for uncomfortable viewing when confined in the rectangle of a photograph - they become a sort of gimmick that doesn't relate to the organic way in which we humans apprehend the world.

Alf, this isn't personal - I'm just trying to deal with the photograph!

I might be tempted to crop a tad closer to the trees, maybe a 16:9ratio
I think the crop is last thing to consider when it is not justified by a
disturbing, irreparable element in the shot. The final use of a picture
is the argument for a crop.
Looks pretty fuzzy here. What are the 40 Mpx for?
The clean and crystal like light should permit a higher sharpness…
the rendition is cool but Rog is touching a good point.

•…keep an an eye on the halos!

Last edited:
Symmetrical reflections, generally, make for uncomfortable viewing when confined in the rectangle of a photograph - they become a sort of gimmick that doesn't relate to the organic way in which we humans apprehend the world.

I completely disagree. When you are stood at the shoreline in such a spot you see it as this.
This is one of the finest landscapes Alf has ever posted and I bet at full res printed big this would look superb on the wall.

The processing is excellent. Bright, colourful without looking false and over cooked. Good detail without looking washed out. This is landscape photography at its very best.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the comments

Its a lovely shot Alf.
I must admit it does look a tad soft, but apart from that I love it.
Completely disagree with the comment made by Droj and would strongly dismiss that his opinion is indeed fact as his tone suggests.

Have a good weekend.

Reactions: ST4
Its a lovely shot Alf.
I must admit it does look a tad soft, but apart from that I love it.
Completely disagree with the comment made by Droj and would strongly dismiss that his opinion is indeed fact as his tone suggests.

Have a good weekend.

Thanks Neil
is this better then it is the shot before

Buttermere reflection 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Absolutely beautiful. This is what you see standing at the waters edge and makes you hold your breath and your legs go weak, one of those fleeting moments we hope to capture as landscape photographers. The split composition is right for this and it's great.

Morning Alf,

Definitely sharper!
Thanks Neil I must have been tired when I processed the first one as I picked the wrong frame I dont know why it is softer though I need to look into that

Really lovely, colours, nice reflection.

Thanks Jan

That's a super image Alf. You've captured a serene serene beautifully

Thansk Peter

Absolutely beautiful. This is what you see standing at the waters edge and makes you hold your breath and your legs go weak, one of those fleeting moments we hope to capture as landscape photographers. The split composition is right for this and it's great.

Thankyou Aalan
Its great when you get conditions like this and I was all alone that morning too I didnt see anyone for an hour or so

Superb shot, seen the original on Flickr.

Thanks Andrew

Stunning! I'd love to elaborate but no other words are necessary.

For me that is just about perfect. My only minor, minor thing is that it seems a tiny bit right hand heavy, but the left hand clouds go some way towards balancing things and it is unavoidable anyway for this shot. Get it printed!

Hi Alf that's a corker, absolutely beautiful shot, such lovely colours too. I like both versions but as said No2 is sharper. It would be great to just be there let alone take photographs. Well captured Alf(y)

Back