Butterflies for 2014 season.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
My butterfly 2014 season is off to a flying(sorry:oops: :$ for the lame use of word!) start.

Some photos, all comments welcome, cheers.

Peacock in my garden.

Peacock Butterfly on Cherry plum blossom. 9th-March-2014.
by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Peacock on my garden fence.

Peacock Butterfly (garden photo). 8th-March-2014.

Brimstone (out in the field) I was quite happy to capture this shot, these butterflies dont normally land for too long, i end up chasing them for a pic! But in this instance, the brimstone came to me...I was crouched down shooting pics of an Adder (Vipera berus) when the butterfly landed close by!

Brimstone Butterfly. 15th-March-2014.

A Comma (out in the field).

Comma Butterfly. 15th-March-2014.

Note - I have also seen/photographed a Small White and a Small Tortoiseshell too, so the butterfly 2014 season is good to go(despite this cold snap lately!)

Thanks for sharing. It's lovely to see them out & about after the horrible wet winter we have had. I've not seen many around here yet (Northampton area).

Beautiful shots & my only tiny thing is I would have tried to get them all off centre to suit my type of composition rules (y)

Thanks for sharing. It's lovely to see them out & about after the horrible wet winter we have had. I've not seen many around here yet (Northampton area).

Thanks, always good to see our butterflies on the wing. I guess im lucky down here in Kent, we normally get the best of the climate/sun.

Beautiful shots & my only tiny thing is I would have tried to get them all off centre to suit my type of composition rules (y)

Cheers for your comment...an damn that word "rules" ;)

The peacock image on the fence, was a deliberate central crop(running with the fence panel join).

The brimstone eye is central(but the much larger wing area) is not.

The peacock on the blossom is off centre.

The comma is off centre.

I do get what you mean though, i could have chose different types of crop, but that may have made the butterflies more distance(less macro/close up).

All shots were taken using the macro 105mm nikon 2.8 D lens.

Great start, a brimstone briefly passed through the garden last week that's all I have seen :(, hopefully I will get to photograph some soon.

Matt

Ah shucks & 'B' the 'rules' as they are meant to be broken - even my rules :eek:

I got this the second day out with my Canon 1000D. I had only had the camera two days and didn't have a tripod and only had the standard 18-55mm lens. I am a total noob as you can tell.
I am going to focus mainly on Macro so will be buying new kit over the coming months. I had it all set to manual and chased this thing for half a mile before it landed to get some sun.

View attachment 8344

Great start, a brimstone briefly passed through the garden last week that's all I have seen :(, hopefully I will get to photograph some soon.

Matt

Thanks, a brimstone is a good garden "tick", hope you get some butterflies your way soon.

Ah shucks & 'B' the 'rules' as they are meant to be broken - even my rules :eek:

My rules are......There are no rules...bit like Fight Club;)

What a good start! Nice set. I particularly like the compositions and the backgrounds in the first and last.

Cheers, the 1st shot was a swine, i was shooting up at an angle, through some twigs/branches, i only got the one capture, then the peacock took off. Shame, because having a butterfly land on the blossom like that could have made for some nice images. The 2nd shot was easier, just waited for the comma to land near the ground, i then laid down and fired off some shots.
This lens is a little unforgiving though, if you dont get face on, with the right angle being spot on, it shows in the images.

Very pretty :)

Cheers.

I got this the second day out with my Canon 1000D. I had only had the camera two days and didn't have a tripod and only had the standard 18-55mm lens. I am a total noob as you can tell.
I am going to focus mainly on Macro so will be buying new kit over the coming months. I had it all set to manual and chased this thing for half a mile before it landed to get some sun.

View attachment 8344

Nice Small Tortoiseshell butterfly there.
If i could give you any helpful advice, i would say to - get out in the field as much as possible, shoot heaps of images, and try to get closer to your subject each time you take the next pic...oh, and stay out of their light, if you cast a shadow over a butterfly, it will be gone!

Yes great start
The first one's my favourite really like the composition

Very nice. Love that brimstone butterfly. Gonna have to keep my eye out for those i think!

Back